PDA

View Full Version : Complete Response vs Partial Response

julierene
03-13-2006, 08:44 PM
I got my report after 3 months, that my PET is clear! (Thank God!) I didn't think that would happen actually, because my back still hurts. But he explained that it probably would, while things were healing. Anyway, I kinda had a light go off, and I asked him "Does being in the category of 'complete reponse' make it possible that I might last longer?" He smiled and said something along the lines of, "I would say that's probably a fair assumption." He's never been one to sugar coat anything...

You gals think he's giving me reasonable hope? Thanks in advance!!! HUGS!

Sherryg683
03-13-2006, 09:17 PM
I'm sure he is and that is great news. When I had my 6 weeks scan and the lung nodules were gone and the liver spots were now milimeters, I asked my doctor pretty much the same. He said that by the way I responded to the first 6 weeks of treatment ,showed a lot about how well I would respond in general. He said some women do not respond at all. I told him I wanted to know exactly what I was fighting for and that 3 years did not seem like something to get too excited about (seeing that I have a 7 year old daughter). He said because of my response he figured I'd be around for a long time. Now mind you, I didn't ask exactly what "long" meant in his book, I was too afraid too, it could have meant 5 years (where as I consider long, long enough to see my daughter grown). He did say not everything is guaranteed but he had high hopes for me. I am hoping too that when I get my next scan, which will be the 3 month scan, I will also be NED...or pretty dang close to it. Here's to good responses for all, and here's to Herceptin keeping the monster away.....sherryg683

Lolly
03-13-2006, 10:34 PM
Julie, I think that's great news! It sounds like he's fairly optimistic, and I think you have reason to hope. My onc tells me "the book is open" on us Her2 gals who respond, the stats dont apply so we are really writing the book as we go along. Each year we survive with Stage IV manageable disease, is another chapter written!

<3 Lolly

StephN
03-14-2006, 11:50 AM
Hey JR -
A scan like that is what every med onc who is worth his salt hopes for his patient. That means you got the right drugs in the right amounts for the right length of time. He will likely keep you on treatment for just a little longer to "make sure."
You have done very well and are strong enough to bounce back from this "speed bump" - as we like to call our setbacks here.

Finish your chemos, continue with your Herceptin, put this behind you and do the other things that you can to help your body stay healthy (like use good quality olive oil, which is synergistic with Herceptin).

lexigirl
03-14-2006, 12:10 PM
Julierene,

That is GREAT news!! I am really thrilled for you! That is a really positive response to your tx!

Love,
Lexi

Barbara
03-14-2006, 01:39 PM
Julierene:

Your news is truly good news. I am happy that you are a responder. I too think that with your response you will be around to see your little girl grow up.

Barbara

mkrny
03-14-2006, 02:50 PM
Great news but don't forget to get an MRI of your head periodically.