PDA

View Full Version : White Blood Cells & Taxol

lisajones4
03-13-2006, 08:14 PM
Hi. I am in the midst of the 12 week cycle of Taxol & Herceptin (5 down). My white blood cells keep decreasing. They actually told me to stay home from work tomorrow (I believe they were at 1.2). Is there anything I can do to help the process. I am going to receive daily doses of neupagen shots this week so that I can get chemo on Thursday. I was just wondering if there is anything further I can do. Thanks!

Lisa

Susan2
03-13-2006, 08:53 PM
It has been 5 years since I had neupogen with Taxol (as part of ACT). Since I did dose dense, I had to do neupogen in between doses. I don't know if you are willing to try stuff slightly different. But hypnotherapy specifically designed to raise white cell counts worked for me. In fact, it worked so well, that every round they had to stop the neupogen after 3 days (rather than 7). I also take echinacea. I didn't take echinacea then because my dr. said no. Now, 6 years later, she's ok with it during chemo. I guess some of the alternative stuff is becoming more mainstream.

Good luck.
Susan

jhandley
03-14-2006, 04:26 AM
Look up reishi extract on this site. I used it and it kept my WBC up through chemo.
cheers
jackie

tousled1
03-14-2006, 06:03 AM
I too experience sever problems with my white blood counts. The first round they gave me the series of neupogen shots and I thought I was going to die from the bone pain. I had lumbar spinal fusion surgery in 2004 and the neupogen seemed to hit me really hard. After that they switched me to Neulasta. I don't have the severe bone pain and it seems to help some. My counts get so low that I'm told to wear a mask in order to avoid picking up any type of infection. I finished 4 rounds of A/C and now start 4 rounds of Taxatore. I was hoping that my counts wouldn't be affected so much with the new regime. Guess we'll find out soon enough since I start treatment with Taxatore tomorrow.