PDA

View Full Version : the head of the NCI's personal experiences with cancer

Lani
03-12-2006, 05:32 AM
Fighting Cancer on a Personal Level

Andrew C. von Eschenbach, MD
Director, National Cancer Institute and three-time cancer survivor

From Coping with Cancer, January/February 2006, pp. 6-7, reproduced with permission from the publisher

There are many paths to a cancer diagnosis. In one case, it might be a lump found during a self-exam; in another, a mammogram reveals a breast tumor. An elevated level from a PSA blood test can signal prostate cancer. In my case, diagnosis began with an accident.

In 1989, I was chair of the department of urology at the M. D. Anderson Cancer Center, a state-of-the-art facility in Houston, where I served in a number of positions for 26 years. In my time there, I had performed thousands of cancer operations. But, like a long line of surgeons before me, many hours hunched over operating tables had taken a toll on my neck. When the condition turned out to be a herniated cervical disc, I opted to have a procedure called a laminectomy, which relieves pressure on the nerve. The surgery was overwhelmingly successful, but I was left with a badge of courage in the form of a large bald patch. An attendant had inadvertently shaved more hair than needed from the back of my head.

When I returned to work, a good friend and colleague (a head and neck surgeon), noticed a small lesion on my scalp. "Andy," he said, "we're going to swing by my clinic right now and remove that thing." It was just a black spot only visible because of an overly aggressive, pre-operative shave, but the lesion was a melanoma. We had discovered - in my body - a death warrant waiting to be served.

Melanoma is the insidious form of skin cancer. If diagnosed and removed at an early stage (while it is restricted to the skin's outer layer), melanoma is curable. But once it advances and metastasizes, melanoma kills 97 percent of its victims within five years. Statistics of that sort certainly help explain why cancer is Americans' greatest fear. For me, of all the forms of cancer, melanoma is the one I most dreaded having in my body.

For now, it appeared this assassin's presence had been discovered early enough for its elimination. Following a wide local excision and skin graft, there was no sign of remaining cancer in the surrounding cells. But then, a follow-up exam revealed a small nodule in front of my ear. In a sickening instant came the realization that, if that spot turned out to be a metastasis from the melanoma, I would not be safe. I would likely be dead.

Being treated in the cancer center where you've worked for more than a decade has certain benefits. The biopsy of the nodule was easily scheduled. What was not so easy was handling my panic. I knew all the potential implications of the biopsy result. Had the cancer spread to my brain? To my lymph nodes? Was this the beginning of a slide from which I would never recover? I began to tally the pieces of my life I would lose: walking my daughter down the aisle at her wedding; the first glimpse of each of my grandchildren; growing old with my wife, Madelyn. After the biopsy procedure, I had to wait just 10 minutes for the verdict. When Dr. Tina Fanning, the cytopathologist, walked in the room with my results, her smile told me the biopsy was negative. My cancer had not spread. I was safe again - at least for now.

Experiencing cancer reminded me that doctors don't just provide care; they are sources of comfort and empathy, and even of level-headedness in a moment of crisis. I learned that lesson again when, at the age of 57, I found out I had prostate cancer.

It was a diagnosis with considerable irony. My father was 57 when his prostate cancer was discovered. I was, in part, able to deal with the hurt and upset at his situation by being a doctor, by searching for and helping place my father in a clinical trial. In the end, however, his outcome was one I knew well. My father's disease had spread. Within five years, cancer took his life.

As the patient - and not the physician - I had to face a list of options, uncertainties, and unknowns I had laid before thousands of men with prostate cancer. I opted for surgery. I also chose to undergo that procedure in my own hospital, to be cared for by colleagues whose knowledge and professionalism I trusted. But that also made me vulnerable in front of friends. I was in superb hands. Doctors and nurses - people I interacted with every day - treated me, as a patient, with respect and dignity. It was the kind of treatment dispensed every day to every patient, but to me they were a tangible representation of dedicated people in hospitals across America who prove each day why it is called health "care."

My third run-in with cancer was the simplest. Just a few years ago I had the most-treatable form of skin cancer, a basal cell carcinoma, removed. While cancer of any kind is nothing to trifle with or dismiss, this diagnosis was easy to cure; however, the cancer had occurred in a location on my nose that would leave an appearance-changing scar. It was one more reminder that, even when the problem is simple and easy to cure, cancer changes you.

With all of my cancer experiences came another lesson: Cancer prevention, detection and treatment must be improved. And now, that improvement is possible.

For centuries, what medical science knew of cancer was limited to what could be seen or touched. With the advent of the microscope, cancer became visible as a cell. Its existence could be conclusively proved and documented, but the challenge of dealing with cancer was still daunting. Through most of my career, surgery and toxic, debilitating drugs or radiation have often been our only good options.

Even though science has made steady, incremental progress, the fact remains that, today, one American dies of cancer each minute. Half of men will contract the disease, as will one third of women. And yet, knowing those statistics, having watched patient after patient suffer and die, working every day for almost three decades in a cancer center, I can, today, see before us opportunities to prevent, detect, and deal with cancer that surpass anything we have learned so far. My three experiences with cancer are, collectively, the story of the past. The future will be dramatically different.

Research today is coming to fundamental new understandings of cancer at a molecular level. That burgeoning knowledge is helping us see that cancer is not an event: a moment in time when a tumor forms. Cancer is a process. Molecular and genetic research are leading to discoveries of telltale proteins and other biomarkers that signal cancer's presence long before the existence of something an X-ray can detect or a finger can feel. Scientists are developing nanodevices: machines a tiny fraction the width of a hair that can penetrate cells and signal cancer's presence or deliver targeted drugs. The decoding of the complete human genome has made conceivable that the genetic code of cancer itself can be unraveled. And today's exponential progress against cancer is leading to an era of personalized medicine, when we will no longer make broad prescriptions for large swaths of the population. Rather, we will compare the patient's genetics to a cancer's genetics and provide the right treatment to the right patient at the right time, with the right outcome, monitored in real time.

Because of what we see happening in cancer research, the National Cancer Institute, which I have been privileged to direct since 2002, has challenged itself - and the United States - to the goal of making cancer a chronic, manageable condition that no longer ends life. In cancer's future, we will have the capacity to intervene at many points in its process, preventing some cancers, interrupting the progression of others. We will be able to eliminate cancer's suffering and death, and bring that about in this country by the year 2015.

There is much work to be done, if we are to succeed. It will take dedicated research, the development of new and novel interventions, and the delivery - to all Americans who need them - of lifesaving treatments. It won't be easy. But I believe cancer care is uniquely poised to lead a revolution in the health of our nation.

Every now and again, someone asks if I pursue this goal so passionately because I am a cancer survivor or, perhaps, because it is a personal mission born of the experience of my father's cancer death. While those may contribute, the answer is not so simple. I became an oncologist because I was fascinated by the biology of cancer: how it worked, how it progressed, and why it was so virulent. But at the same time, I watched this disease, my intellectual and professional foe, cause too many people to suffer and die. So for me today, the future holds the promise to reconcile the two realities. Progress in biomedical research can make it possible for no one to suffer and die as a result of cancer. It is a future we must work mightily to create, a hopeful vision that will require the leadership of the National Cancer Institute, government, academia, and the private sector.

Cancer is a formidable foe. But with collaborative, concerted effort - and your continued support - we can save millions of lives.

Lyn
03-12-2006, 06:14 AM
What a brilliant POST, and especially a bonus for any Testominial Page, thank you so much, this is what we like to read, someone taking a walk in our shoes as well, for me especially the year number 2015 looks like it is just around the corner, am I right? and no mention of the word Herceptin either, so we are ahead already.

Love & Hugs Lyn

TriciaK
03-12-2006, 11:37 AM
What a wonderful article! I am really touched by it because so many times we get the impression that our cancer doctors really don't understand what we are going through. They see only the disease and the general statistics and not the individual. I am going to print this article off and keep it in my file. It is so exciting to read his words "to eliminate cancer's suffering and death by the year 2015". Let's see---I have licked cancer three times (the last two stage IV), I am 76 now in 2006, and I will be 77 in December of this year. 2015 is only 9 years away. I will be 85 in 2015. My father was 100% Swedish, so I am half Swedish. All my Swedish ancesters lived into the eighties and nineties,( except my father who died of a stroke at 55!) My father's grandmother lived to be 103, and was sharp as a tack, they say, until she died. I expect to live until at least 2015! Almost all of you are much younger than I am, so you should all make it to 2015, too. Wow, won't we all have a lot to celebrate, with cancer finally all but eliminated by 2015! Someone once told me that the way to live a long life is to get a chronic illness and "make a pet of it"---in other words to learn all you can about it and treat it the very best way you can, which is what I think we are doing as we are learning to manage this beast. It is not a really fun "pet" but it's what we've got and we are doing the best we can with it! Hang in there, ladies; as the good doctor says, we just need to make it a few more years to be "out of the woods", and as Lyn said, we are already ahead because of herceptin! Hugs, Tricia

madubois63
03-12-2006, 12:45 PM
Great article - thanks. There is a book called "Common Bonds: Reflections of a Cancer Doctor by Dr. Roy E. Berger. He is an oncolgist at my center. He does not have cancer, but the book was written from his point of view taking car of all of us. It is really good, but you need at least one box of tissues to get through it.

Sandy H
03-12-2006, 03:19 PM
This is truly a great article and adds to our site. And Tricia you are something else. You give us so much hope and just figure we will all be here in 2015. That will make me 74!! I enjoyed this article so much it made me feel good to read of advances in the research. Tricia keep your posts coming as I love to read them along with all the others here. hugs, Sandy

Unregistered
03-12-2006, 04:27 PM
I will 45, but most importantly for me my children will only be 17 and 13. Hopefully my daughter will never need to loose her breasts as I have.

RobinP
03-13-2006, 03:22 PM
Lani I really enjoyed reading this; thanks for putting it on her2support. The article declares the future of cancer treatment will be managing cancer chronically long term with biological therapies to target it. Such targeted therapies certainly epitomizes the role of Herceptin doesn't it?

Unregistered
03-13-2006, 04:18 PM
The advances in science are amazing, and the efforts of those involved admirable BUT I wish I could be so optomisitic. A year ago yes, but all my lay reading has changed my view point. So many trials have the caveat but we dont quite know how "that" works, or we thought we new but were surprised at the complexity. Each door opened leads onto a series more. For me cancer is interlinked with the very core of our existence and function, and the task of understanding fully how we work is some way off.

I have no doubt they will come up wtih some amazing therapies, and out of that search will come greater understanding but my strictly non expert view point is,

1. Individualised treatment products come at a price. Drugs companies rely on large sales of single products. We are already seeing costs of high technology treatments. How is all this going to be affordable for all under any current realistic scheme. History suggests that our macro human behaviour goals etc will not change any time soon - maybe when we link to a "PC" neural net - are shocked into it - or feel sufficently divine to start down the cyborg road with all that implies.

2. The body is amazingly complex, with layers and layers of redundancy, alternatives, complex regulation systems, interactions, communality of agents performing differently in different tissues - "equisite complexity" was a phrase used etc.

3. The factors cancer acts on and through seem to play amazingly complex roles at the core of metabolism, reproduction, maintentance,.... and I sense that once we can really effectively intervene will will understand exactly how the body operates, which for me is still some way off - and once they know that who knows what we will be up to.

Chronic and manageble would be wonderful, but how chronic and how managable and at what cost.

My non expert suggestion is that greater reasearch should be put in to the less sexy and profitable, and much more acheiveable affordable and socially cohesive and patient preferable goal of minimisation in the first place by determination of cause of the increase in western diseases and prevention of them. An additional factor like it or not is we now live in a global economy, and a shrinking world. There has to be a point at which those watching on sattelite from the large areas of the world where no such hope of access to medice exists even for more basic conditions either say I will move there so my child/wife/husband etc will be treated, leading to massive immigration pressure and consequent unrest, or eventual continental conflict over resources etc..............................

I have seen this should be followed up and nothing further on trials which involve "natural" pathways (diet fats omega three and derivatives particularly) on many occasions, and wonder why I see little follow up.

My cynicsm says human nature, the structure of corporations and society, the clash of the profit and wider human imperative, a familly to feed, a need to do what you do, in a market that has little room for a message of take these preventative measure and you will significantly reduce incidence and the need for expensive treatments, will continue to result in the status quo until governments intervene as in the smoking debate.

RB