PDA

View Full Version : Beds...

madubois63
03-11-2006, 06:53 PM
Esther and I got off topic on another thread. I thought the "off topic" subject deserved it's own thread because I recently had a miraculous healing. My mommy bought me a new bed. We got the Tempur-Pedic mattress, and I can not praise it enough. I had the worst bed in the world and just didn't realize it. I thought my aches and pains were all from the chemo/cancer. I took vicadin every night to get to sleep because I was in so much pain. One day not too long ago, I was getting out of my car and walking towards the oncology center. I did not know my friend was watching me. She asked what was wrong with me and why was I walking like that? I looked and felt like I was really old - and I mean REALLY old. I truly thought I would be using a cane or wheelchair before too long. After two nights on my new bed, I nearly jumped out of bed and stood straight. I can walk up the stairs without having to use the railing to pull myself up the stairs. Best of all, I have seriously reduced my intake of vicadin to nearly nothing. This was the BEST purchase I have ever made. Since my relapse, I have spent many days and nights in bed. The pain med's helped me through the pain - the bed has fixed the problem.

sassy
03-11-2006, 08:50 PM
Maryann and Esther. I have been plagued by that same 105 year old feeling and taking pain meds for it. I never considered it might be my bed. Actually thought my bed was probably pretty good until I took stock and realized that we have had it for probably 15 years! Have requested info on the the bed you have and will definately look into the possibility of my bed being part of my problem.

I do remember my oncologist commenting early on that just because I had cancer, it wouldn't rule other health problems or discomforts and that every pain or discomfort wouldn't be due to cancer or treatment. I think sometimes we tend to forget this and automatically think everything is from cancer or related treatments or medications.

Thanks again...

Sassy
________
Hurt from avandia (http://www.classactionsettlements.org/lawsuit/avandia/)

DeborahNC
03-12-2006, 07:44 AM
I've heard wonderful things about this bed and wish I could afford one. I have made my old bed a bit more comfy by using a very thick memory foam.

Deborah

Kim in CA
03-12-2006, 02:11 PM
I recently purchased a 2" thick memory foam mattress topper (similar to tempurpedic) from overstock.com for our bed and my husband and I really notice an improvement. I think I only paid about $79 for it. I thought it was worth a try before investing in a whole new mattress and I'm really glad I did. I don't toss and turn at all anymore and no more aches and pains when I wake up. Kim in CA

Tami
03-12-2006, 02:29 PM
During chemo and while my mom was staying with us, we went out and redid my bedroom. With 3 kids, etc, my husband and I never felt we should or could spend money on our room. But after spending lots of time there I decided I needed it to be my sanctuary. We repainted, bought new furniture, got a luxurious mattress and replaced the hand me downs we had had since college - 20years! It really made me feel better and has become a great place for healing and rejuvenation. No more stacks of crap, just inspiring pictures, music and things that make me feel healthy and at peace. My next goal is the bathroom!!!

Best,
Tami

SusanAnne
03-12-2006, 06:30 PM
Maryann,

I totally agree with you about the Tempur-Pedic bed! Every night getting in it(and we've had the bed for 3 yrs. now) my husband and I say it was one of the best purchases we have ever made......up there with central air-conditioning! I'm so glad it's made such a difference in your QOL.

Susan

Shell
03-13-2006, 06:03 AM
We have one, too, although i am blessed that i fall asleep when my head hits the pillow for the most part...that drives my husband nuts!

Lolly
03-13-2006, 08:34 AM
Like Kim, we purchased a 2" foam topper through a discount outlet, and it's the same stuff as the name brand, only much much less expensive. We even got the special pillows. We sleep like babies now!

<3 Lolly

Sheila
03-13-2006, 10:28 AM
I have looked into the temper pedic mattress for some time...my sister in law has one and has totally noticed a big difference in her back pain....now to convince my husband who just isn't ready to move on from his hippie years and give up the waterbed...the warmth is nice in the winter, but I am like a rolly polly trying to get out of it in the morning! I think the pillows would definately help my neck pain too!!!! Might have to get it for our anniversary...if I can convince the hubby!

Esther
03-13-2006, 10:43 AM
Sheila:

We ordered ours from the Tempur-pedic website and they let you try it for 30 days and if you don't like it, you can return it. Of course we loved ours and I'm sure they're assuming most people will love it.

StephN
03-13-2006, 12:08 PM
Has anyone tried the Sleep Number bed??
I have been quietly investigating (without bothering hubby's pretty little head about it!) a new bed system.
These posts, plus the fact that our next door neighbors were extolling their Sleep Number bed, brought it all out.
We went to the local mall yesterday and tried out the various models of Sleep Number beds at various numbers from firmer to softer, and with/without foam topper. Then went down to the Brookstone store to look at the Tempur-pedic.
After lying on what is essentially an air bed at various pressures, the memory foam felt too soft! And it is much more expensive.

My sister got a memory foam top for her bed, but she sleeps alone.

So, I am still taking people's testemonials for consideration.

madubois63
03-13-2006, 12:42 PM
My sister/BIL has the sleep number bed. She is unhappy but she complains about everything. She has returned shoes after wearing them for a month, so I don't put much faith in her opinion. I slept in the bed once and loved playing with the remote. I slept like a baby...

StephN
03-13-2006, 01:39 PM
Hi MAD -
Glad you enjoyed the Sleep Number bed.
My sister-in-law gets anything she wants and they got a Tempurpedic top of the line a while back. She complains that her neck, etc. still hurt - and she spends a lot of time in bed for various ailments.
So sometimes you don't know what to think until you try things for yourself!

Monique M
03-13-2006, 02:17 PM
I have a sleep number bed with the cushy foam top and love it. I too suffered from a great deal of pain and thought it was chemo related. I then visited a friend who had a new bed in her guest room and I woke up pain free! My husband and I researched decided on the sleep number bed. It has been great!

Peace and Blessings,
Monique

Cynthia
03-13-2006, 08:01 PM
Steph,

My husband and I have the sleep number bed and adore it. The only problem with it is that we can no longer sleep in hotel beds.

I had many back and neck problems prior to buying this bed. They are now all gone. We love being able to adjust the pressure for each of us (he likes a firm mattress and I don't). Prior to purchasing this bed, I kept buying and discarding mattresses. It put a real strain on our bank account and on our domestic relations. I am thrilled to report that I have gone a whole four years now without buying a new mattress and our marriage is intact. You may consider this a two thumbs-up endorsement.

Cynthia