PDA

View Full Version : Herceptin & Lapitinib

Esther
03-11-2006, 02:52 PM
Is there anyone currently on a trial getting Herceptin and Lapitinib? I've been wondering about this and thinking about looking for a clinical trial combining the two.

Does anyone know of a Lapitinib trial that is still open to new participants?

madubois63
03-11-2006, 03:28 PM
Welcome Page (http://www1.acurian.com:7001/jsp/ols_display_sources.jsp;jsessionid=ETOCWqq2qX0gXLg PjZVr9jMRabkmLjw0xhQiRNDgsJP0zLqrmRK1!1293535435!-1408173467!7001!7002) There is a phase III trial going on in Arizona. Answer the questions at the link provided and it will tell you if you qualify.

Unregistered
03-11-2006, 03:53 PM
Esther;

I believe that Nicola is currently on a clinical trial with both and Taxol.

Cathya

sassy
03-11-2006, 04:14 PM
Maryann,

Could you give the site, the link didn't work.

Thanks!

Sassy
________
BoomChix (http://www.girlcamfriend.com/cam/BoomChix/)

madubois63
03-11-2006, 06:02 PM
http://www1.acurian.com:7001/jsp/ols_display_sources.jsp;jsessionid=ETzGjY8petTUZOz CxynfAqnmgLsOZS2fAIG3jf2t3c7X5tqXxGqZ!1293535435!-1408173467!7001!7002

sorry...

Sandy H
03-11-2006, 06:53 PM
I talked to my oncologist about adding lapatinib to Herceptin but where it has not been approved by the FDA it is only being used with chemo. He said once it is approved he will consider using it with my Herceptin for me. hugs Sandy

Shell
03-13-2006, 06:12 AM
I am in the Phase III clinical trial of xeloda with or without lapatinib. i do not get herceptin with it, as this particular study seemed to be for those of us resistant to herceptin, which I appear to be... I am in the arm without the lapatinib, but I hope and pray that trial moves forward quickly so lapatinib (renamed tykerb) gets approved and I can try it...

Shell

Cindi
03-13-2006, 09:16 AM
Esther,

I am in the trial that my title states "Lapatinib for reccurent or relapsed inflammatory BC" and have been since late December 2005 for my skin mets. I recurred in May/2004 with 2 more axcillary lymph nodes. Removed those, but then skin mets appeared and have stuck around since then.

I was not able to find a trial that allowed both tykerb (lapatinib) AND herceptin. I am hoping that tykerb will be approved soon, as I would like to add herceptin.

All I take is 6 pills of tykerb once a day. I saw about 50-60 % improvement quickly and now things are seeming "stable".

God Bless,
Cindi

Esther
03-13-2006, 10:38 AM
Wow Cindi, that sounds very promising! Keep us posted on how you do. I don't have IBC, so would not qualify for that trial. I'm still looking for one that I would qualify for.

Nicola
03-18-2006, 01:24 AM
Hi Esther,

I am on a clinical trial consisting of Herceptin and Taxol once a week and Lapatinib taken in pill form daily and Zometa once a month as a bone strenghthener. The pharmaceutical company conducting this trial is GlaxoKlineSmith Protocol # EGF104383.

Study Doctor: M. Kelly Hagan MD
Virginia Cancer Institute
6605 W. Broad St., Suite B, Richmond, VA 23230
(804) 288-7159

I am sure that if you contact Dr. Hagan that she can give you the information that you are looking for as I really don't know myself if they are still seeking participants or not.

If you have any other questions about this trial that I can help with you please feel free to e-mail me.

Big Hugs,
Nicola

Marily
04-06-2006, 01:56 AM
Hi, I have been discussing Lapatinib with my Oncologist, she was talking about side effects with it being bad, stated skin rash and diarrhea? Has anyone experienced any side effects and what have you done for them?
Thank you, Marily

Shell
04-06-2006, 05:17 AM
for the link referenced, don't be put off if it indicates you don't qualify - that happened to me, but when i called up the closest hospital and spoke to the clinical trial nurse, i was told i did qualify - that was for the xeloda with or without lapatinib trial that was just ended.

marily-i'll get to start lapatinib (now tykerb) shortly and i'll let you know - but those two symptoms are also typical of xeloda, so for me i don't anticipate much of a difference,,,

regards,
shell

Nicola
04-06-2006, 11:39 AM
Hi Marily,

I experience severe diarrhea with Lapatinib, Herceptin and Taxol. I also broke out in a rash across my shoulders, upper back and arms. The rash only itched slightly and it went away in a matter of a couple of days, I used Benadryl for the itching. I also experience a lot of joint pain in my legs and mild neuropathy in my shins and feet. I have nausea on and off but the worst part is the fatigue.

I have to stay on Immodium to keep the diarrhea in check. I probably take two Immodium's every other day and by doing so it keeps me pretty normal.

My very first treatment was the worst. I had terrible chills and body aches and was nauseated but my second treatment went much better.

I am doing very well over all and I just had my second set of CT's done and will have the results tomorrow. I will be sure to post the results once I have them. The first set of CT's I had done were very promising. The two largest tumors in my liver had shrunk by 20% after only 7 treatments. I am very excited about this combination of drugs and I can't wait until Lapatinib is more readily available to others.

If you have any other questions please feel free to e-mail me anytime.

Big Hugs,
Nicola

Cathya
04-06-2006, 02:04 PM
Esther;

There is a GlaxoSmithKline Breast Cancer Study which I applied to that involves either Lapitinib as a single agent or in combination with another drug. Both are taken orally and you must present yourself to the hospitals every 4 weeks. Apparently this is open and not closing soon. I did not qualify as (thank goodness) as I have had no recurrence You must have active disease. I wanted to take this drug as I have been taken off herceptin so we have agreed that, although hopefully we will never speak again (lol) my file will remain in their books and if I do have a recurrence I will be put forward as a potential candidate. I live in the north so spoke to a woman at the Rochester NY address. Acurian forwarded my name to them after I found the link that Joe put on the site and completed the application. She responded very quickly and I would suggest that if think you would qualify (or not if you want to have the potential contact) complete the application.

Here is the information Joe posted:

We previously sent you an e-mail about three (3) breast cancer clinical research studies (clinical trials) being conducted in your area that may be of interest to you. The studies are evaluating the safety and effectiveness of an investigational oral drug, GW572016, for the treatment of advanced or metastatic, Stage III or IV, breast cancer in women. If you have already called about these clinical trials, there is no need to call again. However, if you have not called, we wanted to give you another opportunity to participate in these clinical trials.

Below are some of the criteria that you must meet to be eligible for this study:

Female, at least 18 years of age
Diagnosed with Stage III or Stage IV breast cancer
Able to swallow and retain oral medications
Not currently pregnant or nursing.
Additional criteria will be evaluated to determine your eligibility.

All qualified study participants will receive the investigational drug at no cost. The length of study participation is dependent on how each woman and her tumor(s) respond to the study drug(s).

If these studies interest you and you wish to find out if you may be eligible to participate, we invite you to contact Acurian for pre-screening by clicking here (http://www.cancerprofiler.nexcura.com/go/acurianbreast) or calling toll free 1-800-563-6118.

About Acurian
Acurian is a company that specializes in education and awareness campaigns for clinical research studies. They are working with the sponsor of these studies to coordinate the pre-screening and referral of women to the research sites for further evaluation and consideration for participation in these breast cancer research studies.

Acurian's Privacy Statement:
Your responses to the pre-screening questions will be kept confidential and will only be shared with the research study doctor's staff to help them determine your final eligibility for this study. This de-identified data may also be shared with the study sponsor, and its representatives, should you be enrolled. Your information will be saved at Acurian only until the study is complete; then it will be destroyed. The decision to participate will be yours alone and you can change your mind at any time.

To see if you are eligible and get more information on the clinical trials, click here
http://www.cancerprofiler.nexcura.com/go/acurianbreast (http://www.cancerprofiler.nexcura.com/go/acurianbreast)
or call toll-free 1-800-563-6118.

kat in the delta
05-02-2006, 09:10 AM
What tests are given that show you are resistant to Herceptin?? What is the latest protacol for HER2positive
B.Cancer??? Thanks for any response, kat

Julie2
05-02-2006, 05:15 PM
Esther,

Please contact UCSF. They have some clinical trials on lapatinib.

Julie

Marily
05-04-2006, 01:40 AM
Nicola, thank you for your information on Lapatinib. I am watching with alot of interest what happens with this drug and when it will be available. I am so glad you are doing well on it.
I have been able to go back on Herceptin with the help of Iv Benedryl, a double dilution of the drug and being given it over 2 1/2 hours. But it is good to know if I have further problems there is another option.
Hugs and thank you for the information.
Marily