PDA

View Full Version : Aranesp

DeborahNC
03-11-2006, 07:29 AM
Anyone getting the injections? What side effects are you experiencing?

I've had 3 and with all the first 3 days afterward I feel like I'm on an amphetemine. Can't sleep, can't slow down. On the 4th day I begin to slow and by the 5th I crash. The onc nurse said it has affected my ferritin level which I'm trying to correct with Niforex. Not to mention the injection costs $2400!

Does anyone know of an alternative to help with getting hemoglobin back to normal that is gentler and less expensive?

Lolly
03-11-2006, 08:46 AM
Hi; I had Aranesp for several months earlier in my current round of chemo/Herceptin, but didn't have the reaction you are describing, just general aches and pains and feeling fluish for a couple of days.

I've been in treatment for recurrent disease since 2001, and in my experience diet and rest go a long way towards improving quality of life, but only had a very small effect if any on bringing up hemoglobin counts while on chemo.

The other strategy we've employed is half-doses of chemo until counts come up, but that's not ideal when one is treating primary disease, since staying on your dosing schedule is crucial.

Procrit is another EPO that you could try, may not be as hard on you, but it requires more frequent injections.

Then, as a last resort (in my opinion) there is the option of blood transfusion. I myself did not want this alternative, but have known several in my treatment center who have had to get transfusions and they seemed to do fine with them.

The problem of anemia while on treatment is an unfortunate side effect, but nothing to let get out of hand as it has it's own damaging effects on your system.

<3 Lolly

Rupali
03-11-2006, 04:56 PM
Try to get a blood test done thru a naturopath to see level of Magnesium in RBCs.
If its less then take Magnesium supplements.

tousled1
03-11-2006, 05:04 PM
I too have had major problems with my blood counts. I started to take vitamin B12 everyday and amazingly my counts don't drop as much and I have much more energy. I was getting procrit injections once a week and now they have dropped the dose by half.

DeborahNC
03-12-2006, 07:30 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I appreciate the time all of you took to reply. Anemia is so common with chemo that it sometimes get overshadowed by more acute and frightening side effects.