PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have CAF or also known as FAC

Liz J.
03-10-2006, 07:13 PM
Hi all,

Just have a question. I note that many of you ladies have received AC treatment. I don't recall seeing anyone who had the treatment I did. It was called CAF or FAC. It was cytoxin, adrimycin and something known as 5FU. I am assuming AC is adrimcyin and cytoxin. Not sure. Did anyone get the 5FU? Not sure why this component was used.

AlaskaAngel
03-10-2006, 07:40 PM
I had CAF x 6 followed by rads and then tamoxifen in 2002 as a 51-year-old and after that therapy changed for most with bc to include a taxane (either taxotere or Taxol), and then shortly after that they went to dose-dense.

I notice that some people still occasionally are given CAF, and I'm not sure why. My other characteristics are T1c (1.6 cm IDC, ER 50%, PR 95%, HER2 by IHC +++, grade 3).

AlaskaAngel

Liz J.
03-10-2006, 08:39 PM
Hi AlaskaAngel, Thanks for responding. My rounds were also 6 of CAF. I was dx 4/05, although tomorrow will be my one year anniversary of discovering the lump myself. I had a 1.5cm IDC ER 90% and PR 10%. No rads as i opted for a mast. My HER test done by FISH was ++. One year ago tonight I would not have even known what anyone was talking about. This would have been another language. This site is amazing and so helpful. I am now getting Herceptin every 3 weeks and taking Arimidex. Also dx at 47 so we are basically the same age. Menopause at 42. All the best to you. Hugs, Liz J.

juanita
03-10-2006, 10:04 PM
I had two rounds of taxotere, adriamycin and cytoxan with one onc, but hated him and switched. With the new onc he wanted to do the same drugs but spread out instead of all at once. Since I was so very violently ill the first time I wasn't doing those again so I did cytoxan, 5fu and one that started with an m that I never could say. I had 6 of those. Don't know what determines their combinations, because other people I know have had different things as well.

AlaskaAngel
03-11-2006, 03:58 PM
When I asked if it would be helpful for me to do Herceptin plus a taxane (since I never had the taxane originally, and Herceptin works better with chemo than without it) I was told that the taxanes are mostly effective for those who are ER/PR negative -- and because the taxanes have worse neurologic effects it wasn't a good idea.

I'm NED so far, and looking at adding Herceptin. None of the arguments I've heard so far against getting it "late" sound very valid to me. I'm glad you are getting it. You and I aren't that different in characteristics and they are giving it to you, so what does that say about their beliefs about my future....

Actually I still think that they figure most others with my characteristics who didn't get Herceptin already died, so why worry about any "leftovers"... after all, Herceptin will always be there when mets show up...

AlaskaAngel

P.S. But if it is true that the taxanes don't work as well for those who are ER/PR positive then why are those who are ER/PR positive getting it most of the time now?