PDA

View Full Version : Combination of two drugs + herceptin? Or just one?

Toril
03-10-2006, 03:04 PM
From reading your posts I have got the impression that several of you have had a combination of two drugs + herceptin to get to NED (given at the same time, I mean).
I have not been offered that, but would be interested to hear if that is more usual "abroad"?

Toril

Sherryg683
03-10-2006, 04:32 PM
I know in my area, it is quite common for someone to be on two chemo's and herceptin. I am on Taxotere, Xeloda, and Herceptin..sherryg683

madubois63
03-10-2006, 05:13 PM
I was told that Herceptin has a synergy effect when combined with a taxene and platinum agent (either cisplatin or carboplatin). I've been doing Carboplaten, Taxetere and herceptin in combination with a hormonal (femara) for almost 17 months now. So far so good....

Entrez PubMed (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=11301370&dopt=Abstract)

Esther
03-10-2006, 11:58 PM
I think it all depends on the situation. I was placed on Xeloda, Navelbine and Herceptin when diagnosed stage 4, but I was in full liver failure, and there wasn't time to try more than one option. The treatment worked and 14 months later I was NED, and maintaining with just Herceptin.

I have heard that some onc don't like to combine two chemo agents to be better able to assess which one is working, and so as to not use up options.

Me personally, I would stick to a single chemo agent unless the stronger combination was needed in order to maintain stability or push back the cancer.

Toril
03-11-2006, 08:27 AM
Hm.. Its not easy, make sense all that your saying. I will ask my onc what he has to say about it. Have had the empression that some of you has been doing very well on a combination of to chemos.

Thanks!
Toril

mkrny
03-11-2006, 09:45 AM
My Maryann has been using 21 day cycle of
d1 Herceptin + Navelbine + Xomeda (for bones),
d8 Navelbine + Xomeda (for bones),
d1-14 Xeloda oraling.
d15-21 off
About 14 months and body scans improved significantly (borderline NED)

Sorry to get off topic a little here but turns out this cocktail was doing a good job on body but brain scan last week showed mets there. Onco hadn't been ordering brain scans and we didn't request them. Now that I'm researching again and have joined the forum here I see our oversight. That being to trust the onco too much. So make sure you keep an eye on your head and challenge your onco!!

Back on topic - There is significant evidence that the synergistic effect of multi-drug cocktails has been showing good results, so Esther's onco's comment he/she wanted to see which drug was helping one at a time rather than in combination kind of bothered me.

p.s. - Sorry if I'm sounding a little cynical but I'm still reeling form the kick in the gut last week.

Ken

Sandy H
03-11-2006, 10:49 AM
My oncologist says that usually two is better then one. I have been on Taxol and then added the carboplatin to it. Went back on Taxol and it did work but for me the two work much better along with the Herceptin. hugs Sandy