PDA

View Full Version : Navelbine not working anymore, try taxotere

Toril
03-09-2006, 01:52 PM
I have been stage 4 with liver mets since feb. 2005, originally dx april 2004. Have managed to live a very normal live with the help of navelbine and herceptin - for almost one year. But now the cancer has started to grow again - at the same spot in my liver. the tumor is about 2 cm. I just got the message today, and I don't know if there is more than the one.
I got my herceptin today, tomorrow I will start up with taxotere.
I am so fed up, I just want to live a normal life. Never have to think about cancer, like most of the people my age. I just turned 36, been fighting cancer for two years. I so much hoped to be able to go on, just with the help of herceptin, like some of you have. See my daughter grow up, she is only 4.

Today is not a good day. Please anyone, uplifting stories most wellcome!

Toril

jojo
03-09-2006, 02:13 PM
I do not know if you are already aware of this fact, but if you were given a good length of break from a previous chemo, you could get back on the same chemo, if it was previously working so well for you. I believe that some ladies here on the board have gone through this similar route. Ladies??

I haven't experienced that myself, but I hope to be able to do that in the near future, so we could have many more chemo options to 'buy' longer time, you know -- like until a cure comes up! :-)

Toril, do be kind & good to yourself.

Toril
03-09-2006, 11:55 PM
thanks jo-jo for your kind reply. I do know that they can use the drug againg after a while. Hopefully I can come back to Navelbine for that reason. Its been so nice with the few side-effects. Taxotere I think is a bit harder, and I will feel more sick.

BUT I am som glad I have this site for comfort and information. Its incredible what a nice thought can do!!

Thanks againg! Now I am off for my chemo! Sunshine, snow and very cold!! But looking beatiful from my window..

Take care -
Toril

mkrny
03-10-2006, 02:03 PM
Abraxane is a new (available about a year now I think) form of the taxane chemo that has a much milder suspension agent. You should discuss with your onco.

http://www.abraxane.com/

I have read/heard the suspension agents in these chemo are sometimes harder to tolerate than the active chemo component.

m&k

StephN
03-10-2006, 07:14 PM
Hi -
Is it possible to get the Her2 serum test where you live?
I was thinking this would be a way to gauge how the new treatment is working - even more accurate than tumor markers.

Taxotere was very hard on me and I was on only a 4-dose round every three weeks. Had to cut my last dose it was making me so sick.

Abraxane is a good idea and then there is Taxol which is synergistic with Herceptin. This was a good combo for me against my liver mets.

All the best.

Toril
03-11-2006, 08:33 AM
Had my first dose of taxotere yesterday - so far so good!
StephN - the Her2 serum test - I will ask about it - I don't know if they use it here where I am treated. I have had CT-scans every 9th week, and blood tests treatment days. this test - you do it as a supplement to the scans?

Thanks again!
Toril

StephN
03-11-2006, 12:14 PM
Yes, I am doing the HER2 serum test as another way to see what the amount of cancer debris is in my blood stream. This is supposed to be the most accurate way to know how you are doing against the cancer or if it is getting the better of the treatment.
See the posts above about Dr. Carney - he has been instrumental in developing this test. I had the pleasure of meeting him in San Antonio last December.
You can also do a search for the Bayer serum test or similar and find some earlier threads on this test.

I am of the belief that if you have "stubborn mets" that two drugs along with Herceptin is a better way to go to get tough with your cancer and get off chemo as fast as you can.

Good luck - and keep asking all the good questions.