PDA

View Full Version : WBR dosage?

mkrny
03-09-2006, 05:37 AM
Consultation with 2 rad oncos
1st wants to do 22 days total dosage of 4400cgys
2nd wants to do 14 days total dosage of 3500cgys

From what I'm hearing stretching it out is better but if I'm not mistaken (unlike chemo which is mostly flushed out of body within a couple of days) the effect of the radiation keeps killing off cells for months after it must be hangging around a long time. So the total cumulative dosage (not to exceed a specified amount on any day for safety) should be all that matters right?

So why does a longer application period matter?

juanita
03-10-2006, 06:42 AM
i had mine over a longer period so I don't know why they do that. It might be less stress to the skin and tissue. I never got the radiation sunburn they warn about.

mkrny
03-10-2006, 09:07 AM
We went for sim today and discussed further with rad onco. He indicated that studies are showing that lower daily dosing administered over a longer period are resulting in less deficits. When brain mets are fairly localized and long term quality of life is important (as is the case for us) his preference is the lower daily dosing.

Thanks for input.
m&k

juanita
03-10-2006, 10:06 PM
sorry i'm an idiot and misread what you were talking about.

mkrny
03-11-2006, 10:01 AM
My bad, in my first posting I neglected to mention that brain was getting treated. Radiation burn is a valid concern but for my Maryann getting rads to head I'm are more concerned with what we are doing on the inside.

Sandy H
03-11-2006, 10:32 AM
Just wanted to clarify the chemo is not flushed out of the body within a few days. It can remain there for months. That is why one should not be expose to the sun for 2 years after stopping the chemo or dye the hair for a year. My beautician says she will not put dye on the scalp with in the year as it can burn the scalp and turn the hair colors not wanted such as green, purple or any color. She will highlight with a cap. Just wanted to share this as this is how we all learn. Good luck. hugs Sandy