PDA

View Full Version : UW Seattle Vaccine Trial

Lolly
05-25-2005, 09:06 PM
Hello Friends; I had my 5th Her2 Vaccine dose Monday, all went well. I seemed to have a stronger systemic reaction this time, as opposed to the primarily local reaction to the previous doses; very tired and some REAL muscle aches and pains in my lower back and right leg. This correlates with the "vigorous" T-cell response revealed by the blood work done at the third visit, and hopefully means my immune system is gearing to attack any cells exhibiting the Her2 protein.
Dr. Webster was careful to explain that it's not known if T-cell response means increased chance of disease free survival, but of course that's what we're all hoping and what the trial will determine.
Keeping fingers and toes crossed for all of us!!!

<3,
Lolly

Cheryl
05-26-2005, 07:02 AM
Lolli - Thank you for being so brave and so strong. I was wondering, how many doses of the vaccine do you get?

Lolly
05-26-2005, 08:42 AM
Cheryl, I will receive my 6th and final dose next month, then will go up on the 7th month for follow-up blood work. There will be follow-up blood work on the 9th and 12th months also, but I may be able to make arrangements to have that done locally. After that, if I'm understanding the process correctly, my oncologist will fill out an annual questionaire for UW for 5 years.

<3,
Lolly

Cheryl
05-26-2005, 09:49 AM
Thanks Lolly,
Sorry I spelled your name wrong last time. Best wishes to you.
Cheryl

Brian
05-26-2005, 02:21 PM
Dear Lolly:

Congradulations on your good response. I just wanted to let you all know that Lisa sent in her first blood test after completing her 6th vaccine treatment and Dr. Disis advises us that she continues to show a strong immune response to Her2.
I do not know if you are aware, but Lisa had a recurrance after her 6th treatment in the scar tissue from an old tumor in her lung. The top portion of her lung was surgically removed (tumors were 3mm and 8mm). Pathology showed that the tumors were being invaded by two types of active t-cells, which were spotted both inside and outside the tumor. We sent tissue samples to Dr. Disis and are still waiting for the final results of some sophisticated testing, but we are hopeful that the tests conclude that the t-cells were attacking the tumor.
Hope you are doing well and that all of the women in the study are the same.

Brian

Lolly
05-29-2005, 08:43 PM
Brian, thank you and especially thanks for the update on Lisa. It's VERY encouraging to hear that her immune system was apparently activated against the tumors, YEAH!!!

<3,
Lolly

mamacze
06-08-2005, 08:23 PM
Hey Lolly,
Oh, my kids are keeping me too busy and the competition for our computer is stiff with 3 teens, BUT, I snagged some time tonight and was soooo pleased to hear your good response and also the promising news from Brian and Lisa! Whoo Hoo! Your progress is so heartening!
I had a significant response after my 4th vaccine; so much so that we thought it was a gall bladder attack; altho, that was since ruled out. Shaking chills 2 hours after the vaccine was the significant symptom; and ooohh, do I have sore joints after I have been sitting for awhile...oh, every ache and pain for us must surely be nothing short of divine intervention and our t cells fighting like hell!
Blessings to you all!
Love Kim (CT)