PDA

View Full Version : My mom

Karyn
02-14-2005, 06:41 AM
Hi Everyone

I have posted a few times in the past looking for some answers and support for my mom. She had been diagnosed with BC that had matastasized to her liver. Unfortunately she passed away a few months ago. I think that her Hepatitis C status complicated the matters and the dr's remarked that they had never seen cancer grow that fast. Needless to say, we are all still devestated and working through our grief. I was also pregnant with my mom's first grandchild, and my mom was able to see her before she died (she passed 9 days after my daughter was born). I am glad that she did get to see her, but I am so sick of people telling me that she hung on to see her, and that atleast she got to meet her- its not enough- my mom wanted to see my daughter grow up, and my heart breaks that my daughter will never get to meet my mom. It also hurts that my daughters age now stands as a marker of how long my mom has been gone- this is the toughest thing I have had to go through.

This site was invaluable to my mom and myself while she was going through treatment and fighting cancer. I had posted a few messages for her, and would share them with my mom. I had asked for some of your stories, and they inspired the 2 of us, and gave us some hope. While the treatments didn't work for my mom, I am glad that your stories lifted our spirits, so that our final months together weren't surrounded in despair. I thank you all for that.

I will probably linger every so often on this site, as I do have some questions, and am alittle bit scared for my own health (as well as the health of my sister). Do any of you know if the HER2 gene is inherited? Are my chances now greater that I will get this type of breast cancer (I thought I read somewhere that this type of breast cancer was the most inherited type of breast cancer). I am planning on mammiograms, but am waiting until I finish breastfeeding before I begin. I will continue on with breast self exams. Now that I have a daughter, I also worry for her future health. While I had 30 yrs with my mother, I would like to have 60 yrs or more with my daughter. I lost my best friend and I miss her everyday.

Thanks again for all your help

Karyn

KathySC
02-14-2005, 07:22 AM
Dear Karyn,
I am so sorry about your loss, you have moved me to tears. My best to you and your family. I understand your fear about the future but you have been blessed with this website and all the information out there. Look how they have discovered oleic acid in olive oil can kill or inhibit HER2. The same goes for apigenin found in parsley, cammomile and a host of other foods that has been clinically shown to regulate the oncogene. You may have the power to change the future with your knowledge. I wish I could go back and start again with my family and their eating habits but we have moved forward for the better.
God Bless,
Kathy

*_Penny_*
02-14-2005, 09:46 AM
Karyn,
It broke my heart to read your post, I know exactly what you mean. I was very young when my mom was dx with breast cancer. That was 24 years ago and now its in her liver and lungs and we're running out of treatments. I always think I should feel lucky I've had her this long. I could have lost her a long time ago but you're right, it's never long enough. The hardest part is thinking that my kids won't have her growing up. My oldest will remember her but the youngest probably won't. I guess we're never ready to say goodbye and being adults doesn't make it any easier.
I, too, come to this sight for answers, new treatments and other info. Sometimes I don't know what I'm looking for here but listening to others and seeing their victories over this disease helps. It does give us a lot of hope.
I worry about my health too. I started mammograms at 30, I'm now 35. I don't know if we're more at risk for the HER2 than others. My mom's onc. said everyone's chances were the same. Maybe he just said that to make us feel better. I think he said that because he thinks a lot of this bc is environmental. We had no family history, and I understand alot of these women don't either.
I have learned something from this disease and that's to not take life for granted. Don't worry about the small stuff. Take one day at a time and enjoy it. Do everything you can with your kids because none of us know what will happen tomorrow. We all take our chances.
You and your family are in my prayers. You will make it through this and time will heal. Take Care.
Love, Penny

Celina
02-14-2005, 04:26 PM
Dear Karyn,

I'm sorry about your loss. Though I'm sure it was difficult, thank you for writing in. I hope that each day gets easier for you, and that you will eventually find joy in her memory.

Celina

p.s. congratulations on that birth of your daughter...I have an eight year old one (and a 3 yr. old son). The joy she brings us is continuous.

Lolly
02-15-2005, 11:19 PM
Karyn, I'm sorry to hear about your mom's passing. Thank you for letting us know we helped you and your mom during those last months. I hope you WILL continue to visit, and anytime you need to post a question or need some support don't hesitate, it helps us to be able to help others.

Love, Lolly