PDA

View Full Version : After surgery

*_Julie_*
02-11-2005, 10:59 AM
I got my surgery(Mastectomy) done a week ago after my neoadjuvant chemo with AC+Taxol. The pathology report says a 4.5cm DCIS left in the breast (original was 4.8cmX3cm solid tumor) and 4 positive lymph nodes with micromatastisis, the biggest being 1mm. The breast has angiolymphatic invasion. I am not sure whether the response was good for the initial chemo. Now my oncologist wants to give 4cycles of xeloda and a year of herceptin. I am kind of satisfied with his treatment plan except the scans. So far I had only abdominal ultra sound, checst xray and bone scan when I statred the diagnosis which makes me scared.They don't want to do any more scans now. Now I am thinking whether it is wise to change the oncologist just for the scans. Aprreciate any inputs.
I am 37 and diagnosed when I was pregnent with my second child.

thanks

Isabelle
02-11-2005, 12:01 PM
Hi Julie,
I was diagnosed 5 years ago, just after I finished nursing my third child. So, my heart goes out to you because I know how hard it is to cope with bc and small children.

Have you asked your oncologist about getting a CAT scan? He/she should be willing to discuss the test with you. This is a very standard test to get when you have breast cancer. In your case, it would be a useful baseline to use to compare with future scans down the line and to monitor your progress on your treatment.

If your oncologist is unwilling to share information with you or you are not comfortable asking why you are not getting a scan, I would definitely get a second opinion or even switch oncologists.

The more information you have, the better you will do with breast cancer.

I get CAT scans of my chest, pelvis and abdomen every three months now that I am in treatment for cancer again. You have to drink a barium contrast but the machines are so fast now the scans take minutes. I have had PET scans, but they have not been as useful as cat scans and bone scans.

Also, what is the status of your tumor markers? The CA 27/29 and the CEA tests are the ones I have been getting ever since I was diagnosed. They can, in many cases, be helpful in monitoring the status of breast cancer and can indicate when a cat scan might be called for.
The breastcancer.org website has easy to understand info. about all the tests I mentioned here.

Good Luck!
Isabelle

Lisa
02-11-2005, 02:15 PM
Scans are funny things. Since you've just had surgery and had pre-scans, there probably won't be any more for a few weeks/months. Even if you had full body scans today, they could be negative, while in a couple of weeks they could be positive. Cancer can be so speedy, that scans can't keep up.

If you like your onc, and trust him, simply ask about scans and his planned schedule. If you're uneasy about it, ask lots of questions.

Best of luck.

Love and light,

Lisa

al from canada
02-11-2005, 02:26 PM
I agree! DON'T stop asking questions. You know your body best and sometimes intuition can also be a diagnostic tool.
Take care,
Al