PDA

View Full Version : Decadron w/ Carboplatin? Gemzar?

Velva
02-11-2005, 10:52 AM
I am currently on Carboplatin 1 x every 3 wks/ Gemzar wkly x 2 wks/ Herceptin wkly. Given 10 mg Decadron before Carbo/Gemzar & before Gemzar, is this always done? I don't care for the steroid side effects (round face, fluid, wt. gain). Also, my platelets/RBC's/WBC's low; had 2 transfusions of RBC's & 1 of platelets in 2 mos., treatment delays on this combo. (the 1st cycle was mistakenly given Carbo 2 wks in a row, that lowered platelets). Please let me know your experiences. Thanks, Velva

al from canada
02-11-2005, 02:22 PM
Hi Velva,
Although I have little knowledge of the chemos you are taking, my understanding is that Decatron is given as an anti-nausient and really has little clinical value past that. Unless your onc determines otherwise, try it without and you will be able to tell if you need it. Decatron has been associated with decreased effacy of at least one chemo (AC) and causes sugar spikes, non of which are good for cancer.
Good luck,
Al

Kristen
02-11-2005, 02:26 PM
Hi Velva,
I just wanted to say it was good to see your name on the board again, it's been a while. Sounds like you are having a rough go at it right now, but I think you will overcome this as you have done with everything else. Take Care, Kristen

*_Velva_*
02-11-2005, 02:36 PM
al from Canada, Thanks for your reply. I thought Decadron was also used to prevent allergic reaction. I'll ask my onc again and see if I can try it w/o Decadron.

*_Velva_*
02-11-2005, 02:43 PM
Hi Kristen, I have had bronchitis or sinus infection, so I have not posted much. I'm better except for blood counts low. Thanks, Velva

wlward
02-12-2005, 03:18 PM
Dear Velva
Nive to hear from you again . How are your skin mets now?
love
Linda

Velva
02-13-2005, 10:43 AM
Linda, My skin mets are better, not itching much and inflamation went away. I still have discoloration, but not as red. How are you? Velva

Kath
02-16-2005, 12:23 AM
I stopped the decadron while taking Gemzar and Carboplatin due to side effects involving face breakouts as well as weight gain. The only thing I noticed was a little more queaziness the second day after treatment which was easily controlled with Zofran. Good luck.

wlward
02-16-2005, 02:11 AM
Dear Velva
The xeloda took care of the skin mets and i have been clear for 13 weeks - my record is 16 so I am becoming nervous but trying to stay positive. Thanks for asking.Glad to here you are doing well.

love
lindaw