PDA

View Full Version : lung cancer and herceptin?

lauren
02-09-2005, 05:28 PM
Does anyone know if herceptin is being researched in relation to aggressively moving lung cancer (not lung mets from another cancer, but primary lung cancer)?

Sheila
02-09-2005, 05:43 PM
Lauren
Do you mean as a treatment?
Sheila

al from canada
02-09-2005, 08:22 PM
lauren,
Herceptin (to my knowledge) is only used when the cancer id HER2+++. There are a number of cancer with the HER2 over-expression, Ovarian, prostate, colon, etc but I am unsure about lung. Going to the Imaginis web site they only mention FDA approval for BC. so even if the lung cancer did have the HER2+++ I don't know if you could get it. Your best bet might be to call Genetech at (888) 662-6728.
Good luck,
Al

Lolly
02-09-2005, 10:09 PM
Lauren, I found this article dated February 2004 which shows that some lung cancers can be Her2+, but I don't believe herceptin is FDA approved for tx of lung cancers yet. I included an exerpt:

Immunohistochemical Expression of Her2/neu in Patients With Lung Carcinoma and It's Prognostic Significance

"...HER-2/neu overexpression has been observed in many human cancers, including carcinoma of the breast, ovary, gastrointestinal tract, salivary gland and lung. There aredifferent reports about the expression of this protein in different lung cancers. The aim of the study was to determine the expression of HER-2 protein in the adenocarcinoma, squamous cell carcinoma (squamousCC) and small cell carcinoma (small CC) of the lung, and to assess the correlation between HER-2/neu expression and clinical stage of the patients.The evaluation of the expression of HER-2/neu is important because of its prognostic significance and possibility to treat the patients with trastuzumab (HerceptinTM)..."

http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:jNawn-gMQXwJ:www.onko-
i.si/radiolog/043802/petrusevska.pdf+her2%2B+cancers+&hl=en

Lolly
02-09-2005, 10:14 PM
Rats, my link didn't copy completely; trying again...

http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:jNawn-g...+cancers+&hl=en (http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:jNawn-gMQXwJ:www.onko-i.si/radiolog/043802/petrusevska.pdf+her2%2B+cancers+&hl=en)

*_Christine_*
02-10-2005, 12:00 AM
Laurn
There is a new drug out called IRESSA that is targeted for small cell lung cancer. Maybe you onc can look into getting it and ask if it can be complatable w/herceptin.

Hugs and Well wishes, Christine

lauren
02-10-2005, 10:29 AM
my dad has non-small cell lung cancer. i did some research, and it shows that there have been a couple of studies on the effects of herceptin on lung cancer. the status of the study of her2neu in lung cancer is WAY behind the status of her2neu in breast cancer, but from what i can see, herceptin may be effective in her2neu positive lung cancer, only when the her2neu is PLUS 3 on the FISH test (no surprise there, right?).

Christine
02-10-2005, 12:27 PM
Herceptin does a great job with metastatic disease, but does not play a role in other primary cancers. It is soley designed to stop the progression of one particular gene- her2. I do not think it would be helpful otherwise with

Christine
02-10-2005, 12:36 PM
Herceptin does a great job with metastatic disease, but does not play a role in other primary cancers. It is soley designed to stop the progression of one particular gene- her2. I do not think it would be helpful otherwise with lung cancer. Find out about a new drug called Iressa. I do not know of anyone in our group who has primary lung cancer. Lung mets are more frequent in Breast cancer patients. Always ask questions until you're satisfied with the answers.
Hope this helps you to understand the differences.

Hugs Christine