PDA

View Full Version : My treatment for liver mets

Esther
02-08-2005, 05:21 PM
I had some questions on what treatment I have undergone in the past year for liver mets. I am more than happy to share the details of my treatment plans, I'm so excited that it's worked so well for me.

I am 43 yrs old, I have been on Herceptin, Navelbine, and Xeloda. I know that that's considered to be a heavy hitting regimen, but my liver was virtually shut down, so I needed some heavy hitting treatment.

I get Herceptin weekly, Navelbine every other week, and Xeloda 2 weeks on and 1 week off.

My Xeloda regimen is 2 pills twice a day. I started with 4 pills twice a day, but had too many side effects, such as stomach pain, diarhea, and hand and foot issues.

The present regimen is fine, I was even taking my Xeloda pills twice a day while I was in Aspen Skiing last week.

I just had a ct scan this morning, and am hoping that the last 2 liver tumors that were 1/2 inch in size are gone as well. When I started treatment, you could barely see the liver in the scan, it was just peaking out through all the tumors, so this feels like a miracle to me! The bone mets went NED in Aug 04.

Kristen
02-09-2005, 12:27 AM
Esther,
Congratulaions! What great news! I am so happy for you.
so how was skiing? I only ask because I am going in march and wondered how you prepped yourself to get in shape to ski all day? Ty in advance for letting me in on your secret to success. Take Care k

Esther
02-10-2005, 11:06 AM
Kristen, I didn't do that much to prep myself for skiing, other than what I am doing for my genera well being

I take vitamin b12 shots for energy, eat organic fruits and vegetables as much as possible, eat a 90% vegetarian diet, and try to remain active and positive about life.

I did do some exercises to improve my balance using a workout ball, and yoga poses. I think they helped improve my skiing overall.