PDA

View Full Version : Changing Jobs with BC History

Ginger
02-08-2005, 08:28 AM
Haven't yet found the Search function for this board. Does anyone have experience with trying to change jobs after BC surgery and treatment are over? NED so far. I work for a military branch as a Civilian so I suppose the best way would be to find another job with a different agency but wonder how even other agencies or companies outside the GOVT react - can they ask you anything about serious illnesses? Do you have trouble getting health coverage when changing jobs. I would like to quit for a while and then look but am afraid to be without health insurance (I am single). I think this job & stress may have indirectly contributed to my BC...at least in the respect I kept putting off getting my Mamm for 2 1/2 years.

Lisa
02-08-2005, 10:51 AM
I'm sure you can't be asked about serious illnesses. But more importantly, do not give up insurance. You must have continous coverage to be able to get insurance again--or at least at anything near affordable. If you quit working, get a temporary policy, COBRA or otherwise. Just be careful not to miss a day of coverage.

Love and light,

Lisa

*_Patty D_*
02-08-2005, 01:48 PM
One addition to Lisa's message re insurance. Definately get COBRA coverage if you quit your job. You are by law entitled to it for 18 months-this will cover you if you havent yet gotten another job. Cobra premiums are expensive but in our cases- continuous coverage is most important!
There is also an option of "conversion plans" to pick up when the COBRA ends (if you dont yet have a new job with new ins) Find out if your ins co offers them . This is in Minn where I live but I believe most states are the same, at least as far as the COBRA. Good Luck and God Bless. Patty D

Esther
02-08-2005, 05:29 PM
I changed jobs after my initial BC diagnosis and treatment had ended. When interviewing the question never came up and since the company had a large number of employees, the new health insurance picked me up without any problem also.

It is important to make sure that you continue some form of health insurance while you are not working, but once you begin working again, it shouldn't be a problem to get new coverage as long as your new employer is large enough to require them to pick up all new employees into their health insurance plan.

*_Annemarie_*
02-08-2005, 07:06 PM
I asked my manager if I were to go for a promotion would my health issues come up? She said not unless I brought it up because they are not allowed to ask any such question. She said twice she went on interviews for promotions both times pregnant. The first time she had told the interviewer she was expecting and did not get the job. The second time she was expecting she did not tell the interviewer and got the job. So she said you figure it out. I would not volunteer this information in a large company. I work for a very large company and they do not make you go for a physical.

*_Ginger_*
02-08-2005, 09:49 PM
Thank you everyone. Guess I was thinking that at one time had seen the question about whether you had a terminal illness on a job application but maybe it was on some other form. By the way I did see something somewhere that said once you have a serious illness like b.c. you are covered under the ADA (Amer. Disabilities Act). SO that if you need special consideration such as not being required to lift things that you won't have to. Think its called special accomodation or something like that.

*_Ginger_*
02-08-2005, 09:51 PM
Thank you everyone. Guess I was thinking that at one time had seen the question about whether you had a terminal illness on a job application but maybe it was on some other form. By the way I did see something somewhere that said once you have a serious illness like b.c. you are covered under the ADA (Amer. Disabilities Act). SO that if you need special consideration such as not being required to lift things that you won't have to. Think its called special accomodation or something like that.

*_anne_*
02-09-2005, 07:29 PM
Hi,

This is a good question you ask. My mom's wanting some supplemental insurance when my dad retires untily she is eligible for medicare. We have tried the AARP and 2 other companies and she has been refused for past medical history. One of them told her it was because she was her2 positive. I am glad this has not happend to everyone. I would love to hear of an insurance company that will take her on even if we have to pay more premiums.
Thanks,
Anne