PDA

View Full Version : Memorial gifts in Mary's name?

Lisa
02-06-2005, 08:39 PM
Has anyone spoken with Mike, Mary's husband, about organizations she might like us to make memorial to? I'm assuming it would be an animal rights/care group.

Love and light here and above,

Lisa

Linda in Calif.
02-06-2005, 10:03 PM
Mary's husband Mike suggested donating to: FOCAS (Friends of County Animal Shelters - San Diego) or to a Memorial Park Bench fund in her name that will be located in the park where she used to walk her dogs. The address for FOCAS is:
FOCAS
P.O. Box 8375
La Jolla, CA. 92038
I will be attending Mary's memorial this weekend and will find out where you should send donations if you would rather contribute toward the Memorial Bench. Take Care, Linda in Calif.

Sheila
02-07-2005, 06:25 AM
Lisa and Linda
Wouldn't it be great if we on this site could raise enough money to purchase a "breast cancer angel bench" for and in honor of Mary....it would be a great and fitting tribute to one who helped so many of us.
Hugs
Sheila

Linda in Calif.
02-07-2005, 08:18 PM
Hi Sheila: I haven't heard of this. Can you describe it to me? How much is it? I wonder if Mike, Mary's husband, knows about it. Please let me know some more info. Thanks! Linda in Calif.

Lisa
02-07-2005, 08:59 PM
I love the idea of a bench, a resting place for busy dog walkers like Mary. I would hope it would focus on her love, not her cancer, but a pink ribbon engraved on it would be nice.

Linda, let us know if Mike has anything specific in mind. If so, maybe you could do some research with the city/county?

You mentioned Mary's memorial THIS weekend. I thought it was the 19th?

Love and light here and above,

Lisa

Linda in Calif.
02-08-2005, 03:28 AM
Lisa: You are right, the Memorial Service is NEXT weekend....I was thinking THIS weekend was the 19th. What can I say...Chemo Brain strikes again!!!! I think the idea of a bench is a good one. Personally, I would rather donate to something that I can see than just a nebulous organization. It's kind of nice to think of Mary sitting there, in spirit, watching all of the dogs at play. Also, one of the other members here at the HER2 site e-mailed me asking for the date and time of Mary's Memorial Service....she lived out of state and would be unable to attend the service but wanted to light a candle for Mary at the appropriate time in rememberance of Mary...I thought it was a touching gesture to make and others that can't attend the service might like to do the same in rememberance of Mary. Just an idea. Take Care, Linda

Sheila
02-08-2005, 06:10 PM
Lisa and Lyn
The bench I saw was made by someone, had 2 ornamental angels 1 on each corner and had the breast cancer pink ribbon and the name of who it was donated for on a plaque on the back....it would be so nice to remember Mary with this if we could find someone to make it...I wish I had taken a picture of the bench when I saw it...it was before I was even diagnosed.
Hugs
Sheila

Lisa
02-09-2005, 12:17 PM
Linda in Ca,

Do you think you'll be comfortable talking to Mike about a bench (what he has in mind, where, etc.)? I love this idea. If you're not, I'll be happy to.

Love and light,

Lisa

Linda in Calif.
02-10-2005, 03:48 PM
Hi Lisa: I DON'T feel comfortable talking with Mike about the bench, at least BEFORE Mary's service. Although I think the idea of a Breast Cancer Bench is a wonderful idea I don't want him to feel like I didn't like whatever he liked. What I thought I might do was at the Memorial Service ask what Mary's Bench was going to look like and if he said something like "I'm ordering one from FOCA." then I would drop it. But if he said he hadn't really made any firm decisions about it yet THEN I would ask him if he was aware of the Breast Cancer Bench and if he thought maybe that would be a nice one to get. I just don't want to make a difficult time in his life any more stressful....If you think it would be better to talk to him ahead of time and feel comfortable about it please go ahead and do so. Our hearts are in the right place...it's just a matter of me not wanting to hurt his feelings. Take Care, Linda in Calif.

Lisa
02-10-2005, 05:06 PM
I think your idea is right. However, I don't think there is A breast cancer bench. Could be wrong, but I feel like we'd have to have one made. Again, I'd like to focus on Mary and love and dogs, with maybe just a pink ribbon. Just my thought.

I would love to come to the memorial. I'll be keeping my eyes on Last Minute Travel for airfares. If I come, I'll let you know.

Love and light,

Lisa

Linda in Calif.
02-10-2005, 09:16 PM
Hi Lisa: I just assumed that the American Cancer Society (or some other cancer organization) had some kind of standard memorial bench. If you would like I would be glad to check into where we could have a bench made and how much it would be. There may also be some type of guidelines you have to follow as to size, color, etc. to be placed in that particular park. I hope you can find an airfare so you can attend Mary's memorial service. I would love to get together with you. Let me know if there is anything else I can do. Take Care, Linda in CA.

Lisa
02-10-2005, 09:27 PM
Linda,

Tell you what...you talk to Mike when appropriate, and contact the park.

In the meantime, I'll research benches.

Deal?

Love and light,

Lisa

Linda in Calif.
02-11-2005, 10:02 AM
Lisa: Deal! By the by....how are you feeling? I'm having an MRI today to see how things are progressing (or rather, hopefully, NOT progressing). Let me know what you find out about the benches. Take Care, Linda in Calif.

lu ann
02-11-2005, 05:20 PM
Hi Linda, Is that your daughter in the picture with you? She is a very pretty girl, she looks just like you! Blessings, Lu Ann.

Linda in Calif.
02-11-2005, 09:57 PM
Hi Lu Ann: Yes, that is my "baby" daughter. She is the best "surprise" I ever got. I have 2 other children...a girl, 27 who gave me a wonderful grand son 5 years ago and my son, 24 who is at UCLA. Elizabeth is the reason I HAVE to win this fight... Poor thing...both of her grandmothers had breast cancer and now me. She just figures that it is in her future to get it , too. Such a sad thought for a 12 year old. Take Care, Linda in Calif.

*_lu ann_*
02-11-2005, 11:01 PM
Hi again, My baby daughter just turned 14 and was 8 months old when I was first dx. I have 2 other daughters, one soon to be 21 and another who will turn 18 and will graduate in June. Last year at this time I wasn't sure if I would see her graduate. I try to live one day at a time but it is hard when you have kids and you want to be there for all their milestones. Take care and God Bless you and your family. Lu Ann.

Linda in Calif.
02-12-2005, 11:08 PM
Hi Lu Ann: Best of luck to you and your family. Take Care, Linda