PDA

View Full Version : surgery decision

LoriK
02-02-2005, 01:46 PM
Hi all-

I have been reading through some of the posts in regard to mastectomies.

Here's my story:

I am 39 years old Dx in Aug. 2003 Stage 2b, 3 positive lymph nodes, Her2+, ER/PR negative. I have completed chemo, radiation and a year of Herceptin alone. Am NED. I originally had a lumpectomy. I am now beginning to contemplate having a double mastectomy with reconstruction. I came to the board in search of answers and I stumbled across a few posts that mention the possibility of "activating dormant cancer cells" during surgery? Does anyone have anymore information on this? I was really leaning towards the surgery, but now I am second-guessing becasue of this possibility. Also, would love any information or opinions regarding bilaterals and reconstruction, what type of reconstruction, etc....

Thanks in advance!!! LoriK

*_jeff_*
02-02-2005, 02:42 PM
Lori,

I just today read an interview with Michael Baum, a major British bc doc, who addresses your question, in a way. Here's what he says:

"Little doubt exists that the initial peak [of breast cancer recurrences] is provoked by the act of surgery. Surgery switches on a suite of genes for healing. The same suite of genes necessary for wound healing is necessary for provoking the growth of cancer, so what’s good for healing is also good for cancer."

This is, of course, just one opinion, and shouldn't be taken as the last word. But I thought it was worth posting.

Best,
Jeff

Kristen
02-02-2005, 03:04 PM
Hi Lori K,
I was dx in Oct. 03 and was on the same time table as you, however I had a mastectomy at primary. I just had my recon and had an S-Gap performed by Dr. Chang in Baltimore at Mercy Hospital in December. 3 lymphs, er-pr - and HER2 +++. I will let you all know if I reoccur. I posted below and 2 people did recur after surgery. But that is 2 out of how many. Not many responses.

It was worth it to me at this age, now 43. Rozebud, is looking into the same procedure with double and having in done in New Orleans. I am very satisfied with the S-gap, healed really quickly and wasnt' all that painful. Look it up. One site is DIEP SISTERS.com and they list doctors and have pics available. Good Luck. K
ps, I asked my nurse the other day about relapses with surgery and she said she never heard of such a thing. I don't know.

Lisa
02-02-2005, 06:40 PM
I don't know your answer, but I've always thought the surgery causes cancer bit was bogus. Maybe I'm wrong. I'll ask my onc tomorrow if I remember.

May I ask why you're contemplating surgery at this point? Unless your breast cancer was lobular, chances are slim that IF you have a recurrence, it will be in your breast. And reconstruction CAN be difficult.

Glad to hear you were able to get Herceptin without recurrence. I hope that some day all HER2 women will be able to.

Love and light,

Lisa

LoriK
02-02-2005, 08:28 PM
Thanks for the responses.

Lisa, as to why I am contemplating the surgery -- 1) I have been having a "pulling sensation" in my breast, similar to what I had prior to finding my lump. Had a mammogram and ultrasound but both were negative. My doc seems a little worried about it. 2) probably would have more peace of mind if all the breast tissue were just gone. 3) I am young and healthy right now and feel that I could recover well from the surgery.

I am concerned about the "surgery causes cancer" thing and would like more info on that but can't seem to find any.

LoriK

Rozebud
02-02-2005, 08:35 PM
I can't see much on it either, other than a couple isolated articles.

I still go back to the post from a couple of months ago on the study that came out and said women who had reconstruction live LONGER than those who didn't. How could that be the case if the surgery activated the cancer?

LoriK
02-02-2005, 09:07 PM
Rozebud--

Would love to hear more on the topic of living LONGER after surgery! Still searching for articles!

pauline
02-03-2005, 06:51 AM
I'm not too sure either about the surgery activating cancer thing.

The comment from the British doc seems logical-that growth cells that bring out about healing after surgery can be paralleled by growth of cancer cells. But it all seems a bit simplistic to me. Does that mean that anybody who has any type of surgery is running the risk of sparking off cancer?

Lori-you were also asking about reconstructive procedures. I had a free Tram flap after a mastectomy almost exactly a year ago. I had no hesitation about going that way and have had no regrets at all about the choice I made.

I wish you all the best and whatever decision you make will be the right one for you.

Happy Days

Love
Pauline

*_jeff_*
02-03-2005, 07:17 AM
http://www.oncolink.upenn.edu/resources/ar...th=10&year=2004 (http://www.oncolink.upenn.edu/resources/article.cfm?c=3&s=8&ss=23&id=11176&month=10&year=2004)

just some more info for you as you contemplate this difficult decision...

jeff

LoriK
02-03-2005, 08:44 AM
Thanks for the links Jeff.

Just weighing my options. Didn't mean to raise such a stink.

Rozebud
02-03-2005, 06:00 PM
Here is the link....

http://www.her2support.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=20310