PDA

View Full Version : Starting Navelbine on Tuesday

Janelle
01-30-2005, 10:55 AM
Well, I finished my WBR on Jan 4th and start Navelbine (w/ ongoing Herceptin) on Tuesday for new liver mets. Can anyone tell me what to expect from this chemo? The pamplet is pretty vague and was wondering what I might be looking at.

Thanks for your input.

hugs,
janelle

al from canada
01-30-2005, 11:17 AM
Hi Janelle,
Linda just finished about 10 monhs of navelbine. The main side effects are bone pain, (sometimes severe), constipation,and over time, possible nerve damage in your extremities. You will probably have to take neupogen or neulasta for blood support as the CBC counts get hit pretty hard. In terms of quality of life, it is probably one of the friendlier chemos, maybe fatigue the first 1 1/2 days, no hair-loss. Anorexia may be a side effect but not for all. Very synergistic with herceptin and effective for liver mets.
Good luck,
Al

Isabelle
01-30-2005, 12:19 PM
Hi,

I am told that Herceptin works well with Navelbine, and my be a good combo to help prevent brain mets.

I am a few weeks shy of my one year anniversary on weekly herceptin and navelbine. II feel better than ever and have lived totally normal, hectic life this past year: three kids and part time job!

I had a great response to these drugs. All my mets were soon smaller or gone; liver mets all gone. I did not have trouble with side effects. I get zometa once a month for bone mets and that seems to make me achey more than navelbine. I might have slight neuropathy, very minimal. My nails did get brittle and hair thinned some.

Navelbine does effect your immunity and after about 10 months of treatment, my white count was not bouncing back and since I am on weekly dose, there isn't time for neulasta or neupogen. We lowered dose of Navelbine by 20% and I have been fine ever since. The theory is it is better to keep on the weekly dose, even if reduced, than miss entire doses every other week.

Next week I get scans and bloodwork. I am not sure what is next for me. If I am still stable I guess I may drop navelbine and do herceptin by itself. If I have progressed we will try another drug with herceptin.

Good Luck!
Isabelle

Lisa
01-30-2005, 05:31 PM
Janelle,
Such a sad time, isn't it? But we must continue the fight like Mary did.

I took Navelbine for 9 months. Had a hard time: lost hair, lots of stomach upset. I ended up stopping wheat products during that time (apparently some women have problems with wheat and Navelbine), had to find the right stomach meds and was tired a lot. Also, had to take Neulasta about once a month and the other shot for red blood cells about the same. Try lots of beef broth if you can.

I was told Navelbine is NOT usually this harsh. So I'll bet yours won't be.
Tell me about the mets. Remind me of your "original" mets, the treatment and now the recurrence. I'm having my brain scan and PET scan this week. I'll keep you posted.

Love and light here and above,

Lisa