PDA

View Full Version : Message Board Frustrations

imported_Joe
01-26-2005, 07:44 AM
We have listened to our members and are currently in negotiations with a commercial message board provider to construct a new message board system for the HER2 Support Group.

We have sent them the following criteria for our board. Please review it and feel free to add your comments or any items that I may have missed.

Regards
Joe

Criteria for HER2 Support Group Message System,

Basic Needs: Users

Simple easy to navigate, Fixed font and size, ability to upload links and pictures.

Search Feature, search archives for keywords or names.

Threaded “tree” format, ability to insert replies out of sequence.

Ability to change formats.

Message board to reflect appearance of the rest of our website.

Registered or non-registered to have equal access to functions.

Non registered members have option to be placed on our mailing list.

If registered, ability to make email addresses public or private.

Able to directly email a poster - private emails

Able to integrate registered users into database to send mass emails.

Able to post “signatures with personal photos.

Basic Needs: Administrator

Able to delete posts or threads

Ability to edit posts

Ability to ban users.

Ability to post HTML headers or footers in order to advertise special events.

Wish List:

Integrated Chat and instant messenger abilities.

Ability to hold moderated chat rooms for guest chats. Questions to be emailed to moderator who will decide whether to post and present to guest.

The ability to post polls and/or questionnaires.

Ability to compile demographics of users.

01-26-2005, 10:33 AM
Can't we just go back to the old one. The old one was so nice

imported_Joe
01-26-2005, 11:56 AM
Unfortunately our former message board provider, www.dream-tools.com no longer provides this service. Our contract with them expired on December 15, 2004. We offered to purchase their software to install on our server but were turned down.

As a result we chose the Invision board on the recommendation of others.
Apparently, this new board has a lot of shortcomings which a lot of our members as well as I do recognize.

I spent the entire weekend on the internet seeking out providers who offered a product similar to our previous one and came up with a list of 6 providers. We have now narrowed down this list to one, with an alternative back up. The transition to this new board will cut heavily into our budget, but is well worth it.

The members and caregivers who frequent our message boards has given it a reputation not only with other survivors but with the health care industry as well. It is through the generosity of them and from some of our members who have donated to our site that enable us to continue our work.

A list of our major contributors can be found by clicking the "$ Make a Donation" link on the top of the page. You may also want to send them an individual email to thank them for their support.

Warmest Regards
Joe

Cindi
01-26-2005, 11:57 AM
Joe,

Thanks for staying on top of things. You and Christine are truly inspirational. I am sure that soon everyone (or maybe not "everyone"..it's really tough to please everyone) will be happy with the format. Your hard work and dedication is to be admired.

The website is such a terrific forum and wealth of information.

Thanks!

Cindi.

StephN
01-26-2005, 12:25 PM
Joe -
What an admirable effort to get this sorted out for the regular message board users.
WE can't thank you enough!

I feel that the use of funds in this manner is "best and highest," to quote a real estate phrase. That message board is the life-blood of this site, and does so much for so many.

I will send thank you's to the corporate sponsers.

Linda in Calif.
01-26-2005, 12:35 PM
Joe: Sounds like you have everything under control. I agree with your "Wish List"...it would be great if we could instant message each other! Thanks for all of your hard work. Take Care, Linda in Calif.

al from canada
01-26-2005, 12:44 PM
Joe,
Thank you for continuing this invaluable service for us. Your effforts sre much appreciated!
Wish List: How about a spell-check function?
Regards,
Al

Cathy W
01-26-2005, 02:37 PM
Joe,

Thank you for listening and being so responsive. God Bless, Cathy W

eric
01-26-2005, 08:33 PM
Joe,

What about an easy way to bounce back to the post listing. I don't know if there is an easier way but I currently have to go back through all the replies that I read, unless I use the pull down and know how many screens I went.

Thanks for all your time and effort.

Best,
Eric

imported_Joe
01-26-2005, 09:29 PM
Eric,

Go to the top of my original post and on the right hand side - switch to "outline" That may help.

Regards
Joe

Sandy H.
01-27-2005, 05:33 PM
I just want to share how I feel about this board! I have other boards that I have lurked, posted and watched closely. None of them provide me with the data, inspiration, care and compassion that this one does. Everyone on this board is so positive, and uplifting. We can share all kinds of information, personal issues, even talk about our oncology family-we do spend a big part of our time there, and no one will judge us for it. A big thank you to Joe and Christine for this. This is one of the best families I have ever had. Such a wonderful support system we have here. Sure keeps us going. Sending you all a big hug and a smile, Sandy

Lolly
01-27-2005, 05:47 PM
Just when I was getting used to this one! Ha Ha, just kidding :) I appreciate this site so much, and do feel we're family. I await the introduction of the new board with anticipation.
I also think a spell check feature, that we can turn on or off as we wish, would be nice...

Love, Lolly

eric
01-27-2005, 06:58 PM
Joe,

That did help.

Thanks,
Eric