PDA

View Full Version : OLIVE & other oils PROCESSING

StephN
01-25-2005, 12:24 AM
Just to complete this subject, I went back to my copy of Jane Plant's book, "Your Life In Your Hands." I picked this book up when my raging liver mets appeared 3 years ago and have used a lot of her nutrition advice since.

Plant addresses oils saying she
"relies mainly on first-pressed extra-virgin olive oil for everything from cooking to salad dressings. This is more than 80% monounsaturated fatty acids and naturally resistant to oxidation, which means it is relatively safe for cooking.
The only oils I use have been organically grown and extracted by cold pressing. There are three methods of extraction:

1. Cold pressing. This is the traditional hydraulic pressing process in which the temperature is kept low throughout and therefore preserves temperature sensitive vitamins. ... there is a high percentage of waste in the discarded pulp, but the oil is nutritious and tastes and smells good. It may be more expensive, but you consume less. (Steph says - this I find to be true as this is what I get - NO comparison in taste.)

2. Screw or expeller. This process involves high-pressure processing, which generates high tempertures. Vitamins are destroyed during this process, and although it enables more oil to be extracted, it is dark and strong-smelling and needs further refining and deodorizing.

3. Solvent extraction. This is the most common process used because it produces the highest yields. The grains or seeds are ground, steamed and then mixed with solvents. The solvents used are either the petroleum-based benzene, hexane, or heptane. The mixture is then heated to remove the solvents and then washed with caustic soda. This has the effect of destroying valuable lecithin content. After this it is bleached and filtered, which removes precious minerals as well as any colored substances. Finally it is heated to a high temperature to deodorize it. One other aspect of vegetable oils produced by solvent extraction is the they have lost their vitamin E. This vitamin helps prevent the oil from turning rancid. Rancid oils are damaging because they produce the raw material for free radicals in our bodies. Sometimes chemical retardants are added to stop the oil from turning rancid, but it would seem to be much more sensible to stick with the cold-pressed oils, which can keep well, if properly stored for up to six months."

She goes on to recommend buying only the following other oils: walnut, sesame or sunflower oils. (I like to use a drop of 2 of sesame oil to steamed veggies.)

After reading this chapter 3 years ago all the commercial oils in my kitchen went out with the garbage!

A side note: "Olive leaf oil extract" is a good guard against infection, or will help to heal one. Available at specialty natural stores or check online for more info. BE sure to sift through several sites to find one that explains when and how to use it.

Happy cooking!

al from canada
01-25-2005, 01:29 AM
Wow Steph, excellent research!! What's scarey is that I am actually starting to understand some of these abstracts
My questions are as follows:

1. how is one to extrapolate to vivo dosing? Linda currently takes a flax seed oil containing 145mg oleic acid.

2. The cold pressing stuff is confusing. Are there cetain "Brands" of E.V. olive oil we should be buying?

3. I would be interested to know what the percentage is of european (olive oil consuming) B.C. patients are HER2? The accepted number for North Am. is somewhere around 20%. I would think that the percentage, (not just the number of cases), would be much lower.
4. Isn't the jury still out on Vit. E?

5. Don't you ever sleep? You're as bad as I am!

Thank you for the research and valuble information.
Al

Esther
01-25-2005, 09:16 AM
I've been using extra virgin cold pressed olive oil for a couple of years now, so I've been following this discussion with interest.

I'm wondering, is there a way to get oleic acid in a supplement? Would this even be helpful?

I don't use oil every day, so I don't presently consume oleic acid every day, should I be? hmmm.......

StephN
01-25-2005, 10:27 AM
Al and All -

First, YES, I sleep! But remember I have been on Dexamethesone since Jan 4! Buzzes me up more than I am used to and I have been on another research kick, a new DX will do that to a person anyway! I started my taper-off on the Dex yesterday, so should be my old calm self soon ...

We are able to get oleic acid through proper diet.
Salmon and fish. Living in the Seattle area we get an abundance of WILD salmon - NOT the same as farmed. Farmed does not have the omega 3 that we need. Farmed fish did not have to swim thousands of miles and build up the same kind of tissue.

Eggs. There are eggs that are specially labeled "extra omega 3" and I get those fairly often - but ALWAYS any eggs we get have no hormones or pesticides and I try to get the vegetarian fed ones. During my last long run of chemo I ate a gently fried egg sprinkled with kelp powder (for B12) each morning.

There are 4 major fatty acids: palmitic, stearic, oleic and linoleic. EACH molecule of fat contains 3 of these 4 fatty acids. It is the COMBINATION of these acids that determines whether the fat is saturated, unsaturated or polyunsaturated. This all goes into what fats are safer for the body and allow us to best use our food (remember that VITAMINS are fat soluble and we need more than water to take them with!). You can look all this up. I avoid processed foods with the palm and other oils in them.

There is a balance in Omega 3,6 and 9 that is best, with 9 getting overdone in most typical diets, and it needs to be the lowest.

Olive oil. My daily intake is normally no more than a full tablespoon or so, unless I am out dipping my bread in some in an Italian bistro or eating a nice pasta dish.

Labelling. The oils should be labelled with an extraction process that is easy to see. The best ones are proud to display the "cold processed' on the front.
There was a warning on the Articles of Interest board about olive oils that are cut with hazelnut oil. I get my oil from small specialty stores or my organic food co-op, never a large outlet. Organic most times. I feel more confident that I am getting what I need.

al from canada
01-25-2005, 11:13 AM
Esther, Swiss band flaxseed oil has 145mg of olaic acid. To my knowledge, you can't get single entity olaic acid.
Al

01-25-2005, 05:20 PM
I use Barlean's Flax Oil 100% organic, cold pressed, with highest lignan content. Yes, it is expensive but I get it direct from the manufacture and if you tell them you are a cancer patient they will give it to you for whole sale price. I buy it in 32 oz bottles and its quite a savings. Their number is 1-800-445-3529. They even told me I can get 3 bottles for $5.00 shipping charge. It can be frozen. The first time I ordered it they sent me a nice informational packet of recipes and how good it is for everyone to use. I use it with low fat cottage cheese (2 Tbsp to 1/4 cup cottage cheese 2 to 3 times a day) This combo creates a componant for anti tumor in BC. It prevents me from having joint pain as well. Just thought I would share this information for any that are interested. Hugs, Sandy

*_Sandy H._*
01-25-2005, 05:24 PM
I didn't know I have to enter my name now. Never did before. So the Guest on my previous message is me. Sorry, Sandy