PDA

View Full Version : Biological Therapy Lapatinib

eric
01-23-2005, 06:46 PM
Lapatinib (http://patient.cancerconsultants.com/news.aspx?id=32501)

Researchers from the U.S. have reported results from two trials that suggest the biological therapy drug called lapatinib produces anti-cancer responses in patients with metastatic breast cancer. These results were presented at the 29th European Society for Medical Oncology (ESMO) Congress held in Vienna, Austria, October 29- November 2, 2004.

Lapatinib is a biological therapy that inhibits the ErbB1 and ErbB2 receptors, which are proteins located on the surface of some cells. The ErbB receptors are involved in helping cancer cells proliferate and survive. ErbB1 and ErbB2 may be overexpressed, or present in quantities greater than normal, on the surface of some cancer cells, including breast cancer cells. Overexpression of ErbB1 and ErbB2 appears to be associated with poor prognosis and reduced overall survival.

Preliminary findings from the first study presented at ESMO suggest that patients with metastatic breast cancer that has progressed with Herceptin®-containing regimens may benefit from lapatinib. There were 41 patients involved in this preliminary analysis. The majority of patients had received prior therapy (59%). Approximately one-third of the patients were free from cancer progression at 16 weeks after lapatinib treatment. (see Table 1)[1] This trial is ongoing and will include 80 patients in its final analysis.

The second study of lapatinib presented at ESMO also consisted of preliminary data. U.S. researchers reported that 3 patients with metastatic breast cancer experienced partial responses to lapatinib (see Table 1). The 40 patients involved in this study had cancer that had progressed after Herceptin®-containing therapy and all of them had received prior chemotherapy consisting of anthracyclines, taxanes, and capecitabine

al from canada
01-23-2005, 08:42 PM
Eric,
That's great information to have! I recall reading that lapatinib (and Iressa) are small molecule therapies that do or might cross the blood-brain barrier. Can anyone confirm this?
What's interesting about these results is that they are very similar to those of herceptin as a single agent therapy. The nest obvious question is I wonder if there are any studies being done with lapatinib and herceptin or with any other chemo-agents. The down side of the study is that it only had 2 groups of 40 patients. a small number which would skew the results somewhat.
Al

imported_Joe
01-23-2005, 10:12 PM
Al,

Dr. Mark Pegram, Jonsson Cancer Center, in Los Angeles is doing a Herceptin/Lapitinub (GW572016) combo trial.

See attached.

Warmest Regards
Joe

Great Website (http://www.her2support.org/news.html)

*_jeff_*
01-24-2005, 08:29 AM
Hey all,

There definitely are trials testing lapatinib with other agents--just go to cancer.gov and follow the link for advanced search of clinical trials, pull down the menu for breast cancer and then type in lapatinib in the box that says "drug"--you'll find combos with femara, herceptin, and taxol, at least.

Jeff

Esther
01-24-2005, 09:13 AM
Thanks for posting Eric! It always helps to know that there are treatments coming on the horizon.

Though I am responding well to herceptin and chemo now, knowing there may be options iif the situation changes is very calming for me.

Lolly
01-24-2005, 09:40 AM
One of the researchers listed in the #1 study is K. Black...I wonder if this is the same Dr. Black who is on the advisory board for the Her2 Group and is a top neurosurgeon at Cedars-Sianai Medical Center in L.A.?

Dr. Keith L. Black
Medical Director
Maxine Dunitz Neurosurgical Institute
Cedars-Sinal Medical Center
Los Angeles, CA

If so, it would be interesting to know what his opinion is on Al's question, if Lapatinib has the potential to cross the BBB.

Love, Lolly