PDA

View Full Version : Ovary removal

susie
01-20-2005, 04:08 PM
I am at a crossroads. As I once wrote here, I think I am well over 50 but still have functining ovaries---in spite of many chemos over the years. I took tamox. 9 years ago after primary dx, took for 3 years but quit it. It did not fail me, I just got too depressed on it. I am eligable for hormones because of er and pr + but being pre or peri menopausal (according to blood tests) it limits me. What do you think about oophorectomy (ovary removal) as a means of "pulling the plug" on the estrogen? I am very serious, it is an option , rather than using zolodex, ect. I would like to hear from you who have actually chosen this option.

susie
01-20-2005, 04:10 PM
Oh yes, I am her2+ too and have been on herceptin for 2 years.

Kristen
01-20-2005, 11:25 PM
Susie,

i am not in your shoes. My periods stopped with the chemo. It seems BC is running in the family and i am meeting with a genetic counselor. She told me there was some kind of test to see if I was at risk for ovarian cancer. If it is, I would opt for one. My aunt died from ovarian cancer and two cousins have had BC and i am he 3rd.

What does your doctor think? Ulitmately it is your decision and if you feel more comfortable than do what your gut says. I wish you the best. K

susie
01-21-2005, 01:41 PM
Kristen, My periods stopped (and have remin stopped) since 1996. Now I know that just because your period loss was induced by chemo, doesn't mean your FSH and Lutein Hormone are post -menopausal. Indeed they can be as normal as a 35 year old, meaning you can still be hormonally premenopausal! And if you have ovarian cancer and the gene in your family, one of the treatments for that IS oophorectomy. Don't dismiss this!

Kristen
01-21-2005, 03:11 PM
thanks susie,
i will let you know what happens when i meet with a genetic counselor. take care k

madubois63
01-21-2005, 03:20 PM
Suzie - I am having my ovaries out on the 31st of this month!!! Can't wait to get rid of them. When I first stated chemo, my periods stopped. After chemo, I went on Tamoxifen and my periods returned. With all the chemo I get now, I think this wonderwoman would still be making estrogen if it weren't for the Lupron shots. I just want it over with so there is one less thing to worry about and no more shots to deal with. Good luck on your decision.

MARYANN
Stage IV Inflammatory BC 1/00
Modified Radical Mastectomy 25nod/7+
Adriomycin Cytoxin Taxol Tamoxifen
Radiation - 28 x
Stage IV Metastasized BC - lung/liver/nodes 10/04
plural effusion 2 x
Herceptin Taxatiere Carboplaten Femera
ovary ablation to come

michele u
01-22-2005, 10:27 PM
Susie,
I had my ovaries out and i wansn't even hormone pos! Its just another place the cancer can go to, and they want them suppressed anywhy with your type of cancer. Hot flashes are the only down side, but you will have that with hormone suppressing shots anyway. The surgery is very easy. I had no problems at all. I had them with the laproscope. I say Good riddings!

Isabelle
01-23-2005, 12:13 PM
I had my ovaries out laproscopically at age 43 and it was very easy. I was in the hospital just for the day. I decided to do this after failing to stay in menopause on zoladex.

After my first chemo, I was believed to be postmenopausal because I was 39 and had high dose chemo. But, apparently my ovaries started functioning again while on tamoxifen and my cancer recurred in my bones after about 2 years remission. I am ER+ and Her2 neu+++. We tried treating the bone mets with zoladex and aromasin but I kept getting my period. Zoladex does not always worked to shut down your ovaries. The aromasin will not work if you are not postmenopausal. I was tired of the hormonal rollercoaster ride.

I am very relieved to have no ovaires. I sort of wish I had the uterus out as well. As my gyn/onc said, no one really is sure what the long term effects are of all these anti-antihormanls we are trying. I don't want uterine cancer down the road. I am now on Herceptin plus navelbine and have done well for one year.

Isabelle

susie
01-24-2005, 05:16 PM
Thanks for the replies. The onc tells me that oophorectomy should work like an anti-hormone for a while. Do you find this is true for your case? I need imfo and the reassurance that I will not go bonkers is great.