PDA

View Full Version : Formal introduction

madubois63
01-20-2005, 07:09 AM
Well, I've been lurking around for a few weeks and replying here and there. I guess it's time for me to formally introduce myself. My name is Maryann, and I am 41 years old. I am a single mother of two teens (daughter/13 & son/15). I live on Long Island - the breast cancer capitol. I was diagnosed with stage IV Inflammatory Breast Cancer five years ago this month. I did four treatments of Adrio/Cytoxin and four Taxol every two weeks. Then came the MRM with tram flap reconstruction (which later herniated twice). I did Tamoxifen and 28 treatments of radiation (bad burns to new skin). I recouped, then went back to school because I could no longer do my old job (printing). VESID paid my tuition/books, and I earned my Associates in paralegal Studies (with honers/very proud of myself). I got a job with a great law firm and went on with my life. I did blood test every six weeks and got check ups regularly. There was no reason to think I had a relapse. In June 2004, I got a double ear infection with a cough. In July, the PC said it was bronchial distress. In August, I was told it was pnemonia. Before I had a chance to get scans, I checked myself in to emergency. My lungs had filled up, and the pressure was unbearable. I was drowning. They drained my lungs and sent me home. Within the month, I couldn't breath and my lungs had filled up again. We scheduled a biopsy and drained/sealed my lungs. October 5, 2004 it was official. I now had mets to the lung, liver and far right nodes under my arm. I am Her2+ so herceptin along with Taxatier and Cabroplaten (three weeks on, one week off) was the decided treatment. I am also on Femera daily. It's been three months, and I still have hair (thinner, but still holding on). I just got CAT results back, and the lesion on my liver is half the size!!!! I am still waiting results from the PET and have a bone and Muga scheduled. I am being treated at North Shore Hemotology Oncology Associates which is very close to home. One of the founders wrote a book called "Common Bonds, Reflections of a Cancer Doctor." This place is a god send! I went to Sloane for my second and was told I am receiving the best of care (I already knew that). The glam shot was taken the day I cut my hair short just days after being diagnosed the first time. You can't tell, but my eyes were red from cying through the whole thing. I had family pics taken with my kids then went and cut my hair off. My hair grew back (just as long), and this time when I cut it, I was able to donate it to "locks for Love." So - hello and thank you for all your wisdom, encouragment and love. Maryann

Lyn
01-20-2005, 07:22 AM
Hi there, and officially, welcome, it is sooooo great to hear your story, it is reassuring even for us old timers, I am 50 now, I say that with a slur, I tell everyone I am getting younger because they keep killing of my cells and new ones grow back, that is my story and I am sticking to it. It is hard for us but even harder for you being single, but then again our partners can go into denial from time to time when we don't even look sick, so we might just as well be on our own at times. But it is an inspiration that you have made good choices in your life and no where you are going, and from your positive attitude you are not going anywhere else but on this planet.

Love & Hugs Lyn

Sandy H.
01-20-2005, 08:06 AM
God bless you for sharing your story. You are beautiful and we are so happy to have you join us on this board. Sorry it has to be under these circumstances. You have been through so much, as we all have and we certainly, understand where you are at. As you probably have found out, already by lurking, there is lots to learn from this board. The people here are very caring and more then willing to share what they know. We are all brothers and sisters here on the same journey and yet each are different. We do have a common goal to help, and inspire one another. We not only do it here but everywhere we go and everyone we met. Welcome to this family and keep us posted. You are in my prayers. Sending you a smile and a big hug, Sandy

Sheila
01-20-2005, 08:11 AM
MaryAnn
Welcome...you have come to a wonderful oasis filled with love, support and prayers and loads of information on those who have been there...finding this site is one of the best things that has happened to me in my BC journey.
Hugs
Sheila

01-20-2005, 09:01 AM
Welcome Maryann, There's a handful of guys who post on this Board; Eric, Ron, Jeff, Mel, Joe (the site administrator), and myself, and occasionally a few others. You'll find this board useful and compassionate.
Wishing you the best
Al

01-20-2005, 09:02 AM
Welcome Maryann, There's a handful of guys who post on this Board; Eric, Ron, Jeff, Mel, Joe (the site administrator), and myself, and occasionally a few others. You'll find this board useful and compassionate.
Wishing you the best
Al

al
01-20-2005, 09:04 AM
Guest?? That was weird,
It's Al from Canada

Cindi
01-20-2005, 09:32 AM
Mary Ann,

Welcome to the board. Thanks for your heartwarming and courageous history. You are a fighter, like all of us on this board. I am so happy that your CT came back with such good news. I will pray that your remaining tests are just as positive, if not more so!!

Keep up the Good Fight.

Cindi.

Rozebud
01-20-2005, 12:27 PM
Welcome. I am about your age at original dx. I can't imagine doing all of this as a single mother. You are strong and brave....thank you for sharing your story.

StephN
01-20-2005, 01:49 PM
Was to nice to find out more behind the sweet smile that has popped up along with your name. Your girls must be darlings! And tell them that we on this board want their cooperation with you!

I want to also thank you for your messages of encouragement for me in my latest escapade with my brain mets!

We do not seem to get many posters who are from your area (Long Island), and this would seem like a great fount of information for these women, unless they have some very tight support groups in place to "take care of their own."

Maybe you can have Joe send you out some brochures and mouse pads like we gave out in San Antonio at the Breast Cancer Symposium, and you can filter them around in your clinic there. (I do this all the time, even at the Gamma Knife Center this week, and the nurses AND docs really appreciate it.)

All the best POSITIVE wishes for NEGATIVE scans!

*_Annemarie_*
01-20-2005, 10:14 PM
I am sorry that you had to rejoin this group but glad you are doing well. I was 31 at diagnosis (I am now 36). I also line on LI and I go to NS for second opinions. I see Dr. V and like him a lot. Small world. I am her2+++ and stage 4. I have an usual case in that my mets only spread to the brain. I have been treated 3X.

Lolly
01-20-2005, 10:18 PM
Hi Maryann, and welcome! You're story is amazing, what a testament to courage and strength. What good, good news about the liver lesion, I hope it's a harbinger of sorts for the other scans. I'll be keeping good thoughts for you on those, keep us posted, you hear?!

Love, Lolly

madubois63
01-20-2005, 11:08 PM
Thanks so much for the warm welcome. Feels like home. I know how amazing and couragous the PEOPLE of this board are. I wish we didn't have so much in common....