PDA

View Full Version : Gamma Knife Went WELL

StephN
01-19-2005, 11:53 PM
http://members.aol.com:/Ambergrad/GammaFrameSE.jpg

Hello All -
I must let you know that my Gamma Knife experience yesterday was even easier that I imagined, even with all the backup knowledge from those who participate in this site. Part of this was due to the excellent and so kind staff, as well as the peaceful area and setup.

This photo shows the metal frame (NOT a "halo" at all) in which I felt more like the Woman in the Iron Mask. You can plainly see where the "attachements" are right above both eyes. I did not ask how much the frame weighed! There were two other places that had to hold at the back of my head. After the MRI I was able to try to eat and drink, but that piece over my chin had to be navigated around. It sticks out more than you can well see.

I had a young Asian woman neurosurgeon place the frame (with nurses help) who was a whiz with the needle and I barely felt a slight sting in the front and nothing in the back. She really numbed me up and I still don't have full feeling around the back of my head. She would come take out her screwdrivers and check adjustments to see that I was comfortable since I had to go second (for the reason that the other guy was a repeat for a brain primary and his treatment plan was fast to get into the computer - I agreed, why should he wait for me).

Soon after check-in I was given my Atavan and usually 1/2 is enough for me! Once they knew I had to wait, and I mentioned the pressure at the back of my head, they gave me an Oxycodone. Due to a little odd positioning to get to the bigger met, there was more pressure on the right back area. Neuro came in and shot it again, why still numb!

I was able to take a 45 min nap and wake just before final treatment preparations. (Hubby was happy and just read his book!)
Then I was given by IV line 10mg of Dexamethasone and some Kytril in case of nausea. My personal nurse took charge of the CD's I brought and I gave her the order in which I wanted them played. Then I went to lie on the table and get my head frame fitted into a concave "helmet" that was already in place.

They told me that the treatment would be starting, and that is the only way I knew as it is totally soundless, except for the tiny automatic adjustments occasionally made inside the helmet when they change angles. Basically I drifted and dreamed to my music. First met took about 50 min and the second (for which they had to change the "helmet" ) took about 20 minutes.

As soon as I was back in my room the frame came off. Preparations were underway for a refill on the Dex and wound care, which was minimal. The rad onc and physicist came in with pictures of the targets ringed in colors to show me what they did. They answered our questions and felt very confident about my prospects with this treatment.

I took 1/2 Oxycodone last night and slept basically through. My hubby had to check me to ease his mind! May just take a Tylenol this night in case the right back area wakes up and bothers me.

So far today not the slightest headache or other aftereffect. I had some work to do this morning on an event coming up, laundry, etc. Then I went down to the U of W to see Lolly getting her first vaccine! So, I call this a VERY good day.

Thanks again to all for your support in yet another juncture in my struggle against Stage IV BC.

al from canada
01-20-2005, 12:00 AM
Steph,
Congrats!!!!!!!!!
Your courage and strength and account will help so many others through this with ease; a proceedure which may be viewed by many as HORRIFIC.
Thank you for such a great contribution to this Board and the people who rely on it!
Stay strong and wait until tomorrow befor you have that first glass of wine.
Al and Linda

Lolly
01-20-2005, 12:08 AM
Yes, a VERY GOOD DAY!!! You all would not believe this lady, she came up and sat with us during the observation period after the vaccination, brought me presents and chatted and in general just amazed us! Steph, you are a trouper. More on the vaccine tomorrow, as we just got in from Seattle and too tired to write a coherent account, except to say I don't have much in the way of side effects so far except a slightly sore area on my arm. Will post more tomorrow...

Love, Lolly

Kristen
01-20-2005, 12:29 AM
Steph,
Thank you for such an endepth report and a picture to boot! You are amazing and just reading your ecounter just sets the mind at ease knowing it isn't so bad. The descriptions were great and I felt like I was in the room with you. Thank you very much for your report and I hope the treatments go just as smoothly.

I am glad you got to see Lolly, she is a peach. I wish her the best in her journery. I hope it is a becomes for an option for us soon. Thanks again. K

madubois63
01-20-2005, 05:47 AM
Thank you so much for the report and picture. You have taken the fright out of the proceedure for others that have gamma in thier future. You truly are an amazing warrior. I have lurked around this site for a while, and your courage and spirit are truly amazing. I hope and pray for your continued ease and success. Maryann

Sheila
01-20-2005, 08:15 AM
Steph
It may be a frame but we'll call it a halo, as you are one of the BC angel Warriors fighting and sharing your journey to help us all....You look great! Hope this will bring you back to NED quickly.
Hugs
Sheila

Sandy H.
01-20-2005, 08:35 AM
A great report for us and so inspiring to know this is out there. Glad to hear all is well so far. This is an amazing procedure. When one reads it else where other then from a patient it sounds, so frightening but from you sounds so doable and worth it. Thanks for such great news. Hugs, Sandy

Cindi
01-20-2005, 09:02 AM
Steph,

You are AMAZING! Thanks so much for the update on your progress. The fear of the unknown is so tough to handle. Your photo and explanations really help. If I should encounter brain mets as part of my fight against this disease, I will remember this posting. Thanks so much for sharing.

Glad that you are feeling so well. My prayers are with you.

Cindi.

Esther
01-20-2005, 10:08 AM
Steph, great to hear things went smoothly for you! Keep us posted on your progress.