PDA

View Full Version : Pain in side

Janet M
01-19-2005, 02:41 AM
Hello Everyone
I would just like to know if anyone else has had a similar pain. I have a pain in my left side near my kidneys, sometimes it feels as though it extends down into my hip. The pain started out as intermittent and has increased to being fairly constant. I saw the GP today, she, tested my urine - no infection apparent. She suggested an ultrasound of my kidney and x-ray of my spine around the kidney region but otherwise has no suggestions as to what could be causing the pain. Janet M

Elayne
01-19-2005, 04:34 AM
Hi -
I don't have an answer - but I am having a similar experiece. Pain on my left side near my kidneys - exactly as you describe. I've found that driking a lot of water will cause the pain to subside.

I've been to the GP, urologist and my oncologist. I've had a CT sca, a specialized kidney scan (I've forgotten the name of it), urine test etc. Everything comes back normal.

And that's good. But the pain continues to come and go.

At this point, my only theory is that is may be some kind of chemo side effect. This started for me soon after carboplatin was added to my taxotere-herceptin combo. I[ve heard from the nurses that carboplatin is "hard" on the kidneys.

I'll be very interested if anyone has any thoughts on this issue.

Kristen
01-19-2005, 10:04 AM
Hi,
I have had similar pain. How long out are you both from chemo. I too had carboplatin and found that water has helped. I am 10 months out from my last tx. It hardly ever comes any more. But the rule of thumb is if it's more than 2 weeks have it checked. Best Wishes. k

Janet M
01-20-2005, 02:25 AM
Elayne - thanks for the advice about the water. i made sure that i had a lot to drink today.
Kristen - it has been about 18 months since i finished chemo. I did not have cicplatin. i had AC and taxol. The pain has persisted today along with some nausea. it is really making me feel quite unwell. i hope it improves over the next few days. Janet M

Kristen
01-21-2005, 03:23 PM
Janet M.
How long have you been feeling this bad? Maybe you should call your doctor and see what they say. You really sound like your not feeling well today. and now I am more concerned. take care k

Janet M
01-24-2005, 12:43 PM
Thanks for your concern Kristen. I had a reasonable weekend and the pain seems to be getting less. It still hasn't gone fully but it is certainly nowhere near what it was. I have not had x-ray or ultrasound yet as i was waiting to see if it settled. i hate going for x-rays as i feel like a chronic whinger and then i have to have time of work etc. Take car. have a good day.