PDA

View Full Version : Update on my Gamma Knife surgery

Hope
01-18-2005, 03:49 PM
Hi to all. Well I had Gema Knife on Friday. I was very nervous but procedure went well. I did have significant edema but they only found, thank God, that 2 centimenter brain lesion which was a recurrence on that exact same spot about 1 year ago. I did take an ativan but procedure wasn't that bad. I expected worse. However, I was having significant problems before Gamma Knife, lightneadness, equilibirum, balancing problems, headaches, fullness in my left ear area. Well, 5 days after the Gamma Knife, my symptoms are still the same, dizzy, ligntnedness and feel like I am very loppy. I don't know if maybe the decradron is contributing to this because I haven't had much sleep since I was put on this 1 week ago. I take 4 mg. in am and 4mg. in p.m. After tomorrow, neurosurgeon , said to start cutting back by 1/2 dosage every 5 days. I also started on the Xeloda so I don't know if that had anything to do with it also. Plus, I also take my Ativan for anxiety. But, I still feel sick and the same even after Gamma knife. I called neurosurgeon today to ask about this. I hope he calls and gives me reassurance that healing is taking place but that it will take time. Initially, he wanted to see me with a follow-up appointment in 3 weeks from surgery, but he may have to see me sooner. Please let me know, those of you who were experiencing any of my symptoms, how long it took for your symptoms to do away. My brain met is in the occipital horn of the left lateral ventricle. Would appreciate from hearing if any of you had it in same area and what your symptoms were. Thank you. I appreciate any info you can give me. God bless you.

Mickey
01-18-2005, 04:57 PM
I only had a 5mm met so no symptoms. But my Neurosurgeon said it takes about 3 months for it to totally disappear so probably the symtoms take a while too. Next Tuesday I go for my 6 week check. Am hoping the met shrunk and that there are no new ones to worry about.
Mickey

Celina
01-18-2005, 04:58 PM
Hi Hope,
I'm assuming, like WBR, the improvements will be gradual. Radiation works over a long period of time. Hope you're feeling better very soon and it's wonderful to know everything went well.
P.S. thanks for your reply below.
Celina

Barbara H.
01-18-2005, 05:03 PM
Hi Hope,
Last May I had surgery to remove a 3 cm tumor from my pre-frontal lobe. I came through the surgery well, but my balance was a little off. A few weeks later I had stereotactic surgery, but not with gamma knife. I had to have that headgear, which was a bad experience for me. It also took longer for me to recover from the stereotactic surgery. My balance was worse. I was determined to get off the decadron, because it made me feel so weak, and I was averaging 2 hours sleep. I probably went off it too fast which caused swelling and balance issues. Nevertheless, by the end of July, I was feeling much better and was able to return to my third grade class in September. I only get herceptin every 3 weeks, but it seems to be working, and my turmor makers are in the normal range.( I know they are not reliable) I am also taking a grad. course. I think my oncologist thinks I'm overdoing it. However, leading a normal life is my way of dealing with bc and the unknown future. I actually feel totally normal, considering that I am teaching full time and am quite involved with my school.

This website has given me a lot of inspiration and information; and I thought I was already quite informed. Although my turmor was not in the same place, I hope that I have given you some peace of mind. Decadron is really hard to take. I'm sure that you will feel better in a few weeks. I takes its time.

Best,
Barbara H.

P.S. I can now stand on one foot with my eyes closed. Hang in there.

michelemd
01-18-2005, 05:50 PM
Hello

I am sorry you are having problems with the brain thing. My prayers go with you.

I just have CyberKnife (not fancy head gear needed) for FIVE mets -- which apparently is UNUSUAL -- it took 4 hours. I was a little sick next day and I went right back to chemo. Decadron keeps me up too!!

But I am fine -- they had to go after one met in my brain stem but I think Im OK. I have other bad problems in my breast right now.

It does take time to figure out if radiaiton in brain is effective. Be patient.\\Cheers\\

Michele in MD

Ali b
01-18-2005, 06:05 PM
I had WBR in Oct last year,I had 2 large tumours and 5 small ones,in Dec another CT of brain was done,large tumours shrunk a wee bit,5 small "disappeared" but told still there just too small,and about 5 new ones,v small.
Only symtom was flickering in peripheral vision r eye,its decreased recently!
love Ali xxxxxx

Lolly
01-20-2005, 04:15 PM
Hope, I hope you are feeling better today. I guess from what the others have said that it will take time to get back to normal, and the decadron appears to be part of the problem, but necessary to take, so just hang in there and keep us posted on your progress.

Love, Lolly