PDA

View Full Version : Brain mets to spinal taps. Any +

*_Christine_*
01-17-2005, 11:21 PM
I would like to hear from all who have had spinal taps after brain met Dx.
Please indicate yoir results and treatment if positine. There is more women having this test and I'm interested to hear about your experience.

I feel this poll may help others in need.

Jackie
01-18-2005, 06:16 PM
I have mets to bones (spine, ribs, skull), skin, and brain. I had successful gamma knife last summer, and during a follow up MRI, mets to the meninges (lining of the brain) was discovered. This was confirmed with a spinal tap that showed cancel cells in the spinal fluid, and the recommended treatment was chemo introduced directly into the brain. I had an ommaya reservoir inserted into one of the ventricles on the right side of my head (right side contains less function than the left, in case anything goes wrong). A fairly good sized patch was shaved on my head, but the reservoir is a good deal smaller than the port-a-cath I also have. I experienced nausea following the procedure, most likely due to the anesthesia. I spent 1 nite in the hosp, but could have pushed for release. I justed wanted to err on the side of caution regarding side effects. Beginning this Thurs, I will have treatment 2 X wk until the spinal fluid becomes clear of cells, which hopefully will be within a few wks. Then the treatment schedule will be backed down. Systemic chemo will be suspended for now, but if anything unexpected erupts on that scene, that decision will be reassessed. I have been told that this dx and treatment are very uncommon. Hope this information helps someone at sometime!

Janelle
01-18-2005, 09:27 PM
Christine,
Had a Spinal Tap after one brain met was dx. Spinal Tap showed no evidence of cancer cells... yet just a few months later.. 3 brain mets and WBR.

Hugs,
Janelle

StephN
01-20-2005, 08:42 PM
Jan 4th brain MRI showed two mets - one at about 3cm and a 6-8 mm in my cerebellum. Both high and the larger behind my left ear.

I asked about having my spinal fluid checked and at this time the rad oncs did not see a need to do that. Seems that it may be an open question in the future depending on how I go with these current mets.

My med onc said that he feels the Herceptin is doing such a good job at keeping me NED otherwise (after my raging liver mets 3 years ago), that he would also not order it now. But I know him and if I pushed hard he would most likely go along, even if he felt there would be nothing.

StephN
01-20-2005, 08:44 PM
P. S. To Jackie -

I am watching for updates in your case and glad to read the above as it was getting "lost" in all the activity here on this board.
Praying all will work out - someone has to lead the charge!