PDA

View Full Version : Gamma Knife (Unit) tomorrow - Tuesday

StephN
01-17-2005, 07:24 PM
Guess it is my turn to add to the knowledge base on this prodecure.

Up to this moment I am still unimpared in any way that I can tell (even from a 1-inch in diameter met behind my left ear). I have noticed my hubby watching me closely at times, such as when we sit at the table, eat and talk. He looks at me like a hawk trying to spot something, but can't see anything different.

We will check in to the Gamma Knife Center at 7 am. They will give me my Atavan as soon as I sign the papers. About 1/2 hour later the neurosurgeon will attach my "halo." I will be sent to the OMNISCAN for the "fine cut" MRI, which takes only 15 or so minutes with this snazzy new machine they have.
There will be two patients (all they do in one day) and depending who will have the longest time in the Gamma Ray Machine goes first. They say I will be out between 3 and 5, depending on my treamtent order.
It is the treatment planning and feeding info into the computer that takes the longest with the 4-5 person medical team all involved.

I have some comfortable burgundy velvet sweats that I plan to wear with a sports bra. I will not need to change. There is a private room for each patient, with TV, CD player (I have some nice healing-type music to take). Also microwave and little fridge. Guess I have to leave my kitty at home!
Hubby will have a good book with him (as will I) and I plan to send him outside the hospital for a walk at some point.

Mentally, I feel very ready for this, and with all the support from all of you at this site, have NO FEAR! (Like the window stickers I see on the young snowboarder/surfers cars!)

Will update in the next day or so.

Jackie
01-17-2005, 07:38 PM
Great attitude, Steph! You will come thru this procedure in great shape, I have no doubt. I will be thinking about you tomorrow and hoping all is well. Only suggestion I will make is that if they have to give you any pain meds for headache following the removal of the halo that you have not taken before, be sure they also give you some anti-nausea tablets to take with you. Best of luck and I look forward to hearing what a breeze it was!!
Love, Jackie

Mickey
01-17-2005, 07:53 PM
My two cents: I got a shot in the butt just before they attached the halo. It made me loopy. I told them I wanted to be loopy while I was having the treatment, too since it is hard on me being still. So they gave me another shot and I was loopy again. I had been told that when they took the frame off, it releases pressure and to expect pain. I had an excrutiating headache for about 2 hours after and was fine then. Remarkable. I could definitely do it again if I need to. Hope not. MRI is in a week so I will know then.
Mickey

al from canada
01-17-2005, 08:43 PM
Dear Steph,
I want to wish you the best success in your treatment tomorrow.
I know from your postings and from trying to put myself in your position, that you are probably scared to death: stay stong because we are all scared for you as well!!
Interesting comment about your husband watching you: I do that occasionally to Linda; probably for the same reason your husband does it to you. We are trying to get a sign or some kind of validation that you are as scared as we are. What is never discussed on most discussion groups is the fear and emotional turmoil this thing creates for the "significant other(s)".
I give linda all the credit in the world as I know she understands the toll on me and our kids. The summary: don't forget that you are not in this alone. Your husband, family and the members of this board all have you in their thoughts, pray for you and look forward to your next posting.
Stay strong and remembering all the people and communities who care about you; failure is not an option!
Al and Linda

Lisa
01-17-2005, 09:17 PM
Go get 'em girl!

Love and light,

Lisa

Lolly
01-17-2005, 10:16 PM
Dear Steph, as you're getting that thing zapped, but good, we'll be on the road heading your way; just thinking about what a wonderful gift Christine and Joe have given all of us, to be able to share our experiences, joys and pains and sometimes to even meet in person for a GREAT BIG HUG! I am looking forward to hearing about it in person, and will be able to show you my "owie" from the vaccine shot :)

Love, Lolly

*_Christine_*
01-17-2005, 10:35 PM
Steph
Wishing you well. It's really not a very tramatic experience,and know you have the best treatment from all they have to paperyou with. I suggest for you and Amil go out for a light meal afterwards. I don't think you will have any nausea, just maybe a slight tension headache and from your tiny wounds. They may want to give you meds to go home for that. It's a breeze! My best to you . Hugs Christine

lolam
01-18-2005, 12:13 AM
You will be in my prayers. You girls are definately our pioneers going on ahead of us and preparing the way. May God give you supernatural peace as you face this with courage / So thankful you will have your husband there with you each step of the way. I know this will be successful and you will recover for look how far you have already come. YOu will soon be dancing with NED once again!!
Hugs and prayers, lolam

madubois63
01-18-2005, 12:37 AM
Steph - I am new to this board, but not new to this disease. I just wanted to let you know you are in my prayers tonight. Good luck tomorrow. Maryann

jhandley
01-18-2005, 02:21 AM
Steph
I am also new to this board but not to this disease. Best of luck..thinking of you.
Jackie H. (from Oz)

Cindi
01-18-2005, 07:50 AM
Steph,

You are one tough cookie! Amazing that the met has caused you no problems. Thank the Lord that they found it. I am sorry that you have to go through this, but you sound READY to FIGHT.

I will keep you in my prayers. I pray that the procedure will do the job and soon you will be cancer free again! This is just what HAS to happen.

God has brought you to it, God will see you through it.

Cindi.

*_celina_*
01-18-2005, 09:32 AM
Steph, in my panic over my sister I neglected to wish you luck with your treatment. I suppose as you're reading this the treatment is over and you are beginning your "mending" period. NED will be knocking on your door in no time!

Celina

Hope
01-18-2005, 03:03 PM
Stephanie, you are in my prayers as you go through this procedure. My procedure went well last Friday. But side effects are on going. I will post a different post on this to see if anyone else is going through this. God bless you. Please keep me informed as to your progress and I will do the same. I don't know your e--mail address. Mine is hetrahan@aol.com.

lindaw
01-18-2005, 05:25 PM
Dear Stephanie
All the best for your treatment.I hope it goes well and will be thinking of you.
love
Lindaw

*_Sheila_*
01-18-2005, 06:42 PM
Steph
Hoping all went well today and you rest well tonight...you are in my prayers.....and so brave! Your positive attitude is just another part of you that you share with all of us.
Hugs
Sheila

Rozebud
01-18-2005, 09:03 PM
My prayers are with you. Rose

StephN
01-18-2005, 11:25 PM
Deep thanks to all the well-wishers who posted their thought as well as those who paused a moment to think of me.

WE HAD THE BEST NEWS POSSIBLE!
No new mets picked up on the ultra-sensative MRI today - so nothing new but the 2 known tumors to treat.
I have a bit of a stiff neck from some of the angles they needed (it was all on my back) and a couple of small puncture wounds in the back of my neck that are "weepy" but have done the wound care and fixed them for the night.
Whole thing in the Gamma Ray Machine was painless AND soundless, except for the soothing and healing music I brought that was played. The staff liked the music and listened out in their area as well.
I will post more tomorrow separately.

Thanks be to the Lord for hearing all who so fervently prayed in their own way on my behalf.

Sheila
01-19-2005, 06:11 PM
Steph
Glad to see your post....you are a trooper and inspiration....prayers for you to enjoy NED again
Hugs
Sheila