PDA

View Full Version : Supplement/Complimentary/alternative med ?

Kaye
01-16-2005, 05:56 PM
Does anyone know if glucosamine would be something helpful or if it would be contraindicated for someone with Her2+ and ER+ breast cancer?

Lisa
01-16-2005, 08:04 PM
It is fine in fact. I was told by my onc to take 3 T twice a day to help prevent neuropathy.

Love and light,

Lisa

SusanAnne
01-16-2005, 09:53 PM
Hi Kaye,

I also take glucosamine with chondroitin to alleviate the joint pain that is caused from taking arimidex. Have you heard anything specific that would make you think there would be a problem?

Susan

Lyn
01-17-2005, 06:03 AM
Hi I have been taking Glucosomate Sulphate for 2 weeks now and I had physio today and was told that it takes about 3-4 months before expecting results for pain. At first I took the double recommned dose but cut back because I think I have an alergy to Sulpher and I started to itch that bad I had to take a anti-histimine if it is from that it would have been due to a build up of the tablet so I cut the dose in half so I am seeing how I go. I have neuropothy in my feet and finger tips and I haven't seen any improvement yet, but I am impatient.

Love & Hugs Lyn

Sandy H.
01-17-2005, 08:15 AM
Gosh, thanks as I had not heard this for neuropathy. I am happy that I learned something new today. Smiles Sandy

StephN
01-17-2005, 08:50 AM
Joint pain is something that is naturally going to come along with all the chemo - some just get it worse than others. I had to take Neurontin at times to deal with it, that was the best for short term relief.

Just to CLARIFY -
GLUCOSAMINE is something that helps to restrengthen connective tissues that help the joints move. When the Chondroitin is added it should be more effective in your body being able to use is as we need/want.

This supplement does NOT prevent neuropathy - but LISA may have been referring to the GLUTAMINE - a separate (usually powder) supplement that we spoon onto cereal or whatever to counteract the direct effects of the chemo on our nerve SHEATHS or coverings, damage that is more permanent.

Having had joint injuries over the years (especially shoulder due to car accidents) i had been using the Glucosamine successfully for years prior to cancer dx. Had full range of motion and this helped my reahab after lumpecotomy and nodes out.

MY DENTIST had also told me that it would assist in keeping my jaw and gums healthy as I had a couple of teeth receding! Those stabilized YEARS ago! So much for another side benefit!!

Kaye
01-17-2005, 09:08 AM
First--Sue, no I never heard anything about it--either good or bad. A few weeks ago, they were offering samples of a drink called "Joint Juice" which contained glucosamine at our local Costco. I picked up a case of it but then thought maybe I should ask around as to whether or not anyone heard whether or not it might be contraindicated in those with breast cancer.