PDA

View Full Version : Olive oil

lolam
01-13-2005, 04:47 PM
If it does what herceptin does, maybe it could help our brains, do you think? Maybe it can get up there too when herceptin cannot.
I guess a couple tablespoons a day would do it , right, for dosage?
Raw would be better, not, as heat kills nutrients?
Salad dressing of olive oil, Red wine vinegar, garlic, basil, how does that sound?
Garlic is sposed to be good for us too.
And then there is the 3 cups of green tea thing.
We just can't depend on the drug companies for everything, right/
Hugs, Lola

Lolly
01-13-2005, 05:13 PM
Sounds delicious! It's very interesting to read all this new info, because about 10 years ago I started using a tonic I read about in a naturopathic column, to help ward off flu. Maybe it should be re-named AntiCancer Tonic!

Anti-Flu Tonic

1-2 cloves garlic, pressed and allowed to stand for 10-15 mins.(very important, as the oxidation develops the beneficial properties of fresh garlic)

1 Tblsp. olive oil

2 Tblsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice, or 2 Tblsp. apple cider vinegar

3 Tblsp. red wine

1 Cup water

Whiz in a blender a few seconds and drink immediately. Best taken after meals, or omit the water and use on a salad at dinner.

Lyn
01-14-2005, 05:51 AM
I found some more info, Where does it end, it is a nightmare wading through all our info, a good thing there are so many of us doing it, we don't want to miss anything and we can give the condensed version.

: Ann Oncol. 2005 Jan 10; [Epub ahead of print] Related Articles, Links

Oleic acid, the main monounsaturated fatty acid of olive oil, suppresses Her-2/neu (erbB-2) expression and synergistically enhances the growth inhibitory effects of trastuzumab (HerceptinTM) in breast cancer cells with Her-2/neu oncogene amplification.

Menendez JA, Vellon L, Colomer R, Lupu R.

Department of Medicine, Breast Cancer Translational Research Laboratory, Evanston Northwestern Healthcare Research Institute, Evanston, IL, USA; Department of Medicine, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, IL, USA.

BACKGROUND: The relationship between the intake of olive oil, the richest dietary source of the monounsaturated fatty acid oleic acid (OA; 18:1n-9), and breast cancer risk and progression has become a controversial issue. Moreover, it has been suggested that the protective effects of olive oil against breast cancer may be due to some other components of the oil rather than to a direct effect of OA. METHODS: Using flow cytometry, western blotting, immunofluorescence microscopy, metabolic status (MTT), soft-agar colony formation, enzymatic in situ labeling of apoptosis-induced DNA double-strand breaks (TUNEL assay analyses), and caspase-3-dependent poly-ADP ribose polymerase (PARP) cleavage assays, we characterized the effects of exogenous supplementation with OA on the expression of Her-2/neu oncogene, which plays an active role in breast cancer etiology and progression. In addition, we investigated the effects of OA on the efficacy of trastuzumab (Herceptin™), a humanized monoclonal antibody binding with high affinity to the ectodomain of the Her-2/neu-coded p185(Her-2/neu) oncoprotein. To study these issues we used BT-474 and SKBr-3 breast cancer cells, which naturally exhibit amplification of the Her-2/neu oncogene. RESULTS: Flow cytometric analyses demonstrated a dramatic (up to 46%) reduction of cell surface-associated p185(Her-2/neu) following treatment of the Her-2/neu-overexpressors BT-474 and SK-Br3 with OA. Indeed, this effect was comparable to that found following exposure to optimal concentrations of trastuzumab (up to 48% reduction with 20 microg/ml trastuzumab). Remarkably, the concurrent exposure to OA and suboptimal concentrations of trastuzumab (5 microg/ml) synergistically down-regulated Her-2/neu expression, as determined by flow cytometry (up to 70% reduction), immunoblotting, and immunofluorescence microscopy studies. The nature of the cytotoxic interaction between OA and trastuzumab revealed a strong synergism, as assessed by MTT-based cell viability and anchorage-independent soft-agar colony formation assays. Moreover, OA co-exposure synergistically enhanced trastuzumab efficacy towards Her-2/neu overexpressors by promoting DNA fragmentation associated with apoptotic cell death, as confirmed by TUNEL and caspase-3-dependent PARP cleavage. In addition, treatment with OA and trastuzumab dramatically increased both the expression and the nuclear accumulation of p27(Kip1), a cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitor playing a key role in the onset and progression of Her-2/neu-related breast cancer. Finally, OA co-exposure significantly enhanced the ability of trastuzumab to inhibit signaling pathways downstream of Her-2/neu, including phosphoproteins such as AKT and MAPK. CONCLUSIONS: These findings demonstrate that OA, the main monounsaturated fatty acid of olive oil, suppresses Her-2/neu overexpression, which, in turn, interacts synergistically with anti-Her-2/neu immunotherapy by promoting apoptotic cell death of breast cancer cells with Her-2/neu oncogene amplification. This previously unrecognized property of OA offers a novel molecular mechanism by which individual fatty acids may regulate the malignant behavior of breast cancer cells and therefore be helpful in the design of future epidemiological studies and, eventually, dietary counseling.

PMID: 15642702 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]

Love & Hugs Lyn

lolam
01-14-2005, 11:48 AM
Holy Cow Lyn, that was a lot of letters to discipher..But the bottome line is that olive oil may be a killer I think....I still wonder if it does not kill cancer cells in the brain....It is purported to help Alzheimers brain in another report so it must strengthen the brain. If it goes to the brain then it must be able to also do there what it supposedly does in the body. Makes sense to me that it would anywise. Wish one of the articles talked about that.

carol
01-14-2005, 05:01 PM
Hi - I always cooked with alot of olive oil, but after reading about this study I will be eating alot more raw, uncooked organic extra virgin olive oil in my salads and with bread. Bon appetit!

AlaskaAngel
01-16-2005, 01:19 PM
I started using olive oil 2 years ago for most things that call for oil in my diet just because most of the writers I respected were pushing it. (So far I'm NED, maybe that counts.)

The article made me wonder what would happen if someone with IBC applied it topically... and then I started wondering if something as harmless as olive oil was sprayed on the surgical site after lumpectomy or mastectomy...

I wondered if the scientists who did the study considered these possibilities.

Sometimes old wives tales have some very real basis to them.

Lyn
01-17-2005, 07:20 AM
Hi there alaska angel, not such a bad idea, the first Taxol was mixed with a nut oil but the patient died, only because she was alergic to nuts. If they can put nicotene patches and eostrogen patches on the skin and the body absorbs it why not oil, we would just have to stay out of the sun and not get fried.

Love & Hugs Lyn

StephN
01-23-2005, 01:07 AM
Thanks, Lola, for bringing up this important subject.

I have been doing what I can on the Oleic Acic front since my liver mets appeared 3 years ago, and maybe that is partly responsible for my complete response with no relapse except into brain.

Maybe it is why my brain mets took a while to get active and there are only 2 of them. Would be nice to think that I could have THAT kind of effect on my aggressive cancer!

I am very careful of what kind of olive oil I get. I usually find some from a wine property in Spain or Italy that sends over small amounts with wine shipments. Not the cheapest, but once you have had it the stuff in the tin cans does not compare.