PDA

View Full Version : My son injured---

Esther
01-13-2005, 12:05 PM
Late Sunday night/early Monday morning morning my son was injured. I received a call at about 12:30 midnight that my 22 yr old. son had fallen down a set of concrete steps outside an apt building at a friends house that he had been visiting.

The concrete was wet, and he wasn't paying atention, or holding the hand rail, and he slipped and fell al the way down.

I met him in the ER, he was bruised, they stitched up cuts on his face, but the biggest news was that he had a broken jaw.

He was seen by a maxilofacial surgeon on Tuesday, and he had surgery on Wed am. They put a plate in his jaw, and unfortunately, also had to wire his jaw shut in order for it to heal properly.

He is now home resting. I am so thankful, that all the injuries he suffered were fixable! I did major grocery shopping for liquid foods that he can eat, as he was already very slender, 6'2" and only about 155 ", so I'm hoping to be able to feed him high calorie liquid foods.

His jaw will likely be wired shut for about 4 weeks. Poor kid. I told him I gave him 2 weeks, and then we were talking about this. If he'd been home asleep like normal people....he wouldn't have gotten hurt!

Barbara H.
01-13-2005, 02:52 PM
My thoughts are with you and I hope that he has a successful recovery. With all we are going through, we still worry about our kids the most. I can certainly relate.
Best,
Barbara H.

Lolly
01-13-2005, 04:14 PM
Esther, so sorry your son is going through this. My brother-in-law fell off a ladder this summer and broke his jaw, had to have it wired shut also...my sister made him smoothies with peanut butter every day, that's pretty much what he lived on, and he did fine...Didn't even lose any weight! Best Wishes for a speedy recovery to your boy.

Love, Lolly

Lyn
01-13-2005, 06:35 PM
I am so sorry for you Esther, and mory sorry for your son, the joys of being a mother, the good thing is it is a distraction from BC, at least if he was over weight it would have been a good thing, but then it never happens that way.

Love & Hugs Lyn

Esther
01-13-2005, 07:59 PM
Smoothies with peanut butter, that's a great idea! Thanks for passing that on Lolly.

*_Christine_*
01-15-2005, 10:10 PM
Esther
Sorry to hear your son's mishap. I was reading your post as my daughter is leaving to go out with 2 friends for dinner and a late movie to celebrate her 19th birthday. So , times like this can be a worry, but I try to remember my good old years with friends that last forever in our memory. Hope he has a speedy recovery. There are alot of nutritional drinks out there. When he gets tierd of sweets, try juice with carrots and fruit -banana smoothieswith protein powder. jUST BE CREATIVE. hUGS TO YOUR SON. and to you and your hubby