PDA

View Full Version : Navelbine

Celina
01-13-2005, 10:53 AM
Hi there, I know that I've posted a similiar question prior, but my sister was wondering how much bone pain people have experienced on Navelbine. She has weekely Herceptin/Navelbine...day 3-6 she is experiencing severe bone pain, particularly in the hips and, oddly, shoulders. She also has abdominal pain from constipation...no matter what she takes, she gets no relief. She has no appetite...ate only a half of a piece of toast yesterday. Those who have been on Navelbine, did you experience these systems, particularly loss of appetite and severe bone aches.
BTW, she is finally getting MRI this evening...doc suspects there is some activitiy with regards to her brain mets...has caused more loss of vision and a mild stroke.
Thanks,
Celina

Patty H
01-13-2005, 11:10 AM
I have very little side effects with navelbine. Right after treatment I have this lump in my throat and I usually try to have something to nibble on, on the ride home, which is around a hour. I know with other chemo's I have had constipation and it was real uncomfortable. So when they told me that was one of the side effects of navelbine, I make sure I eat lots of fruits and I also take a supplement called green chlorello and I go every day. For example, today I had raisin bran for breakfast (high in fiber) and then I juiced an apple and grapes. With my lunch I had blueberries and a banannna. Patty H

Lolly
01-13-2005, 05:37 PM
Celina, I had some bone aches with Navelbine, but not as severe as your sister seems to be experiencing. I would take Tylenol whenever I needed, but it seems as if maybe she needs something stronger?
The loss of appetite is troubling, she needs to keep her strength up. Have you tried "Ensure" or some of the other liquid supplements, they're especially designed for cancer patients. My mother-in-law's friend would whiz it in the blender with some ice cubes to make a nutritious milk shake. For extra protein, add a bit of peanut butter; if she can get some of this down every hour or so, it will help.

Love, Lolly

Michele in MD
01-13-2005, 06:12 PM
Hello

I just started Navelbine. Ugh. Two days ago the gas started bad.

Nothing seems to help much. I took walk after lunch need to keep moving.

No real bone pain however.

Trying to take natural laxtive stuff.

Best of luck!!!

Michele

al from canada
01-13-2005, 06:39 PM
Dear Celina,
My wife Linda, has been on Navelbine since last April when we discovered liver mets. She has always had serious bone pain as a result of the chemo. Taking neupogen doesn't help because the side effects of it are also bone pain. About 4 months ago we cut her dose down to 3 weeks on, 1 week off, to give her system a greater recovery time from the chemo. This past week she hit a wall. The pain was travelling into her fingers. We are told that this is a result of neurological damage and as a result, she was taken off the Navelbine for at least 4 - 5 weeks after which she will be re-evaluated. She is now on herceptine only. Linda takes hydro-morphone for the bone pain and that seems to do the trick. However, as with any narcotic, constipation is an issue. Things to watch-out for: loss of strength in your ankles and wrists as it is indicative of nerve damage.
All the best,
Al

*_lu ann_*
01-14-2005, 03:06 PM
Dear Celina, I have just completed 7 weekly tx. out of 8 of navelbine and herceptin. I have allot of bone pain and constipation, some of which is caused from the oxycontin that I am on for the compression fracture in my spine. I have no appetite and I am severely fatigued. I am also getting very depressed and at times I wish it would just end. I have been feeling this way since before the holidays. Sorry to be such a downer. This too shall pass. Blessings, Lu Ann.

Celina
01-14-2005, 05:52 PM
Thank you to all who replied. Lu-ann, your frustration is quite similiar to my sister's. She went in for chemo today, but refused because she was in such pain...her abdomen. They did an ultrasound...it appears to be nothing other than the constipation caused from the Navelbine. Anyway, she went home without having any treatment, not even Herceptin. She doesn't want to take the Navelbine anymore..she doesn't feel that she can deal with the pain any longer. For the first time in a very long time, she took Morphine and it did NOTHING for the pain. Of course, I want her to stay on it, but I'm not the one experiencing this..I'm frustrated for her..that she has to go through this, but I want her to maintain a fighting spirit and treat this aggessively. Her bones and liver are doing well and I can't help being upset that she didn't even take the Herceptin. I feel as though she's ready to throw in the towel. She meets with her Onc. on Monday. I will drive to Ottawa to attend the meeting with her. I guess he'll try something else with the Herceptin. Any suggetiions?
She has to wait until Monday to get her MRI results regarding her brain met.
Phew! Thanks for letting me speak (type) my mind!