PDA

View Full Version : "Cancer Treatment Centers" or alternatives

Jerri
01-08-2005, 11:05 PM
Dear friends,

My parents are very distraught over my recent CT results-2 new liver tumors in addition to small bowel, large bowel and kidney. My mother keeps insisting that I need to go to a "Cancer Treatment Center." I am not exactly sure what she means or expects from this. I am 110% pleased and confident with my current oncologist. With his knowledge and all of the reading my husband and I do, I believe we are doing everything we can and getting the best of care.

Does anyone have any experience with a specialized center? What about the more alternative centers in Mexico and Europe. I had a dear friend go to St. George Klinik in Germany. She came home much more sick than when she left, but unable to tell whether it was just disease progression or a result of the treatments she received there.

I would like any info possible. I would hope to help my parents find peace with this situation.

Thanks,

Jerri

Esther
01-09-2005, 04:31 AM
Jerri:

If you're happyy with the treatment you are getting then perhaps it might make all of you feel better to just go and have a second opinion.

Depending on where you live, you could head for one of the Univ based treatment centers, or one of the Cancer Treatment Centers of America.

As far as complementary treatment centers go, I've researched them and they tend to be pricey, about $30k for a months treatment. There are books that you can purchase and do a similar treatment regimen on your own at home.

I've been loosely following the Gessler and Issler treatment methods, organice fruits and vegetables, unprocessed foods, as few preservatives and additives as possible, etc.

I discussed this with my oncologist, and while he wasn't convinced that it would help, he didn't think it would hurt either.

*_jeff_*
01-09-2005, 07:07 AM
And I'd also add that there were results published recently (I don't have them at hand but could probably find them if you want) that showed that there was no difference in survival for people treated at community practices vs. big cancer treatment centers...

Best,
Jeff

Rozebud
01-09-2005, 10:51 AM
Jeff - I'd LOVE to see something on that. It would get my mother off my back.

My father in law goes to CCA in Tulsa. He is a huge believer, hence why my mom wants me to go there. They treat body, mind, spirit, etc.c - wholistic approach. The people that go there really believe in it. Many medical onc's think they are just specialized profit centers that have learned how to maximize what they can bill insurance companies, and probably are therefore not as well respected by the top name university hospitals. However, you are treated well there. I think it's just a matter of choice. Go with where you are comfortable, and like you said, pray for peace with your mom.

lu ann
01-09-2005, 11:11 AM
I went to Cancer Treatment Centers of America in Zion, Illinois last March for a second opinion for a reoccurance of Breast Cancer. I ended up staying for 6 weeks for radiation treatment. I was very pleased with the care that I received. They provide integrative treatment, whereas they use both conventional (radiation, chemo, and surgery)and alternative care (accupuncture, nutrition, exercise, supplements, pastoral care, etc). I chose to have chemo from a local provider as I was too homesick to be away from my family. It shouldn't cost you more then your lodging to go for a second opinion. They provide roundtrip transportation for patient and travel companion. They also provide meals for patient and patients guests in the hospital cafeteria. If you are happy with your current oncologist and just want information they will send it to you. Let me know if I can be of any more help. Blessings, Lu Ann.

Chnstine
01-09-2005, 11:44 AM
Jerri,

If you have nconfigence with your Onc. and you and yoir husband are keeping up with yoir Dr and your progress you may just want to go for a 2nd opinion . I don't recall your cancer profile, and would like to get to know what you are taking for you metastatic condition. There is no evidence to indicate alternatives are better, and in fact as you already know many have progressed unnecessarily by going off traditional meds thinking there is a panacia in another country. It is my opinion that you can get other opinions on the various new chemos such as Navalbine, Carboplatin and others called Cytostatic drugs like Avastin , Herceptin that have less toxic side effects. I cannot comment about the TX you have already been on , but would like to know for a better look at your overall disease and TX. Please e-mail me your profile with age, dates, er/pr status, Her2, and all the chemo you've had and an update. There is also a new chemo called Lapatinib that is indicated for women who are progressing with diease. There are many options, but to be sure I would go for another opinion with your present records and seek out more information also here on our message board. There may be more answers to your questions.
Alternative medicine in both Mexico, and Germany is not a place to go if you want to survive. Herceptin with another chemo is your best protocol. Be positive about your decisions and go for it. Please reply ,so I can follow you.
Hugs, and well wishes Christine

*_jeff_*
01-10-2005, 09:58 AM
Hey Rozebud and all,

My bad on my earlier sloppier reference. The abstract I was remembering had to do with so called "centers of excellence"--basically the info said that long term outcomes for folks at these places designated as specially able to handle cancer surgery were no better than any other hospitals.

There are cancer centers that use a multidisciplinary approach; these are all over the country. Then there's THE Cancer Treatment Center which lots of folks like--they combine complementary and traditional approaches...

Sorry for my confusion.
Jeff

carol
01-10-2005, 06:59 PM
Hi- I went to the St George. Feel free to e mail me if you want to know about my experience there. Regards, Carol
e mail: cn310@charter.net