PDA

View Full Version : Gemzar

Jerri
01-08-2005, 10:54 PM
Dear friends,

I received very disappointing CT results this week. 2 new tumors in my liver were found. That currently leaves me 2 to the small intestines, the large intestines, the kidney and the 2 in the liver. Things don't look too good. I feel like we are starting to lose the battle. There are very few chemos left that we have not tried over the last 7 years. Friday we will start Gemzar/Herceptin.

I would like to hear anything you can share with me about this combo.

Thanks in advance. I remember all of you in my prayers.

Jerri

Celina
01-09-2005, 07:17 AM
Jerry, I can't imagine how discouraged you must be feeling. This new combination could be the solution. Please keep us updated on your treatment.

*_Ron_*
01-09-2005, 06:29 PM
Jerri,

My wife has been on Gemzar + Herceptin recently. Had a bad start in July, too soon after WBR. Started again in September and she has tolerated it pretty well. Cyndi is on an every other week schedule and begins a tired slump about two days after then builds back and feels decent until the next tx.

After Taxotere and Taxol, she says this is not too bad, she has even started a new crop of hair. Cyndi's mets are lung, so I cannot say anything about the liver or intestine mets. BTW you are the first intestine mets I have heard about, at least from breast primary.

I hope you have good shrinkage with the Gemzar, Cyndi's so far have only stabilized with it. Stabilized is kinda' like a kiss from aunt Suzie, it nice, but is certainly nothing to be over-joyed about!

God Bless You in You Fight,
ron

rosie
01-10-2005, 01:49 AM
I am so sorry to hear your discouraging news. It is so scary to all of us to be "using up our options." I have been on gemzar, xeloda and herceptin for 10 months now. When I started on it, I was homebound on oxygen and confined to my bedroom. I have done very well on this regimen. I am off oxygen and feeling much better. I am on it for two weeks and then off for one.
My biggest complaint with gemzar is that I find myself much more nauseated than on any other chemo. Then there is the usual fatigue issue. We have had to reduce the dose because my counts were taking a hit so I need neupogen and epogen every now and then.
I will cross my fingers that this works for you.

Sending a hug,
Rosie

Ragini srinivasan
01-12-2005, 09:30 PM
Hi,
This is a very difficult time but we have to keep fighting this till they find a cure. I know it is easier said than done. I have moved on from various chemo regimes over the last 4 yrs and nothing seems to work for long. I have just had 2 cycles of gemzaar + cisplatin and herceptin and it is making me fairly tired. I tell people when is God going to be kind and give a break and feel low many a times but have to go on for the kids who are fairly young. I pray to God that you will get some success with this drug.
I have questions for others who have been on this combo for a long time. How was the response?