PDA

View Full Version : tumor marker

michele u
01-08-2005, 09:59 PM
I have a question about the test ca27/29. I have had 3. The first one was 5. Then the 2nd was 13 and the 3rd was 15. It is slowing going up but still in the normal range. I think normal is up to 38? My question for you gals that recurrence, does this go up and then come down, or do you think the slowly going is just the start of maybe mets? I worry so much about mets lately, because this is my 2nd year. Thanks

Lisa
01-08-2005, 10:31 PM
Michelle,

It IS the trend that docs look for. If it is rising, and assuming you have no infection to cause it, your doc will probably consider doing some scans. Some of us have accurate markers, while others never do. But it's part of the "package" of tools docs have for diagnoses.

I could say don't worry, but I know it wouldn't do any good. Instead, if you haven't had scans lately, why not take the bold step and ask for them yourself. That way you'll know one way or the other.

Love and light,

Lisa

Isabelle
01-10-2005, 07:57 AM
Your tumor markers are so low! My weren't that low even when I was in remission for 3 years!

How frequently are you getting tumor markers checked? I don't get mine checked more frequently than every 8 weeks. You could get a different reading every week if you checked but it wouldn't be helful information. I have seen my numbers bob up and down and up. So, my onc. doesn't even like to dwell on those numbers. For some people they are not a good indicator for what your cancer is up to. For me it is. But, a rising tumor marker is nothing if it isn't confirmed by other symptoms and something visible in a scan. That might not happen for months from now.

Getting scans too soon is not always a good idea either. You expose your body to unnecessary radiation and you don't always get conclusive information making you have to repeat scans again and again amd be more anxious. I speak from experience. It can also rush you back in to treatment when you could have had more time off from chemo. For recurrent breast cancer, the sooner you treat doesn't always mean better outcome. You just run through your options faster.

Sometimes you just have to wait and see what your body is up to, as difficult as it is. I have become an expert at calming down and living it one day at a time because I have spent the last 5 years dealing with cancer. Use the time waiting to see what is happening with your tumor markers to take really good care of yourself. Exercise. rest and eat the healthiest food you can. Do all the things you like to do. Be thankful for every day.

Isabelle