PDA

View Full Version : vitamin e

Barbara H.
01-08-2005, 09:08 AM
I have recently heard that the benefits of vitamin e are in question. I have been taking it for several years. Has anyone heard about any new reports of its questionalbe benefit for heart disease or cancer? What are your thoughts.
Thanks.
Barbara H.

*_jeff_*
01-08-2005, 11:20 AM
Hi Barbara,

There was a bunch of hoo-hah a little while back based on a study done that showed some negative effects of Vitamin E. I thought (from my layperson's perspective) that is was a poorly designed study--seemed to only look at people with preexisting heart conditions.

Rachel takes 800 i.u. of Vitamin E a day--the kind made by Source Naturals with "mixed tocopherols"--I've read some abstracts suggesting this is most effective.

Best,
Jeff

Barbara H.
01-08-2005, 01:33 PM
Thanks, Jeff!
This website is such a support in more ways than one.
Barbara H.

*_KathySC_*
01-08-2005, 01:45 PM
Hi,
About 3 years ago I read a report on a study where they disected a tumor and tested it for vitamin E. They found high concentrations of E around it. They were trying to figure out if it was helping or hindering the tumor. Since then I have read in different articles that vitamin E succinate is the safest for breast cancer. I would think small 400 mg dosages of any E wouldn't hurt but for higher numbers I would be leary.
Kathy