PDA

View Full Version : Starting period after 3 years of cancer treatment

Diana Shelton
01-04-2005, 09:17 PM
I was diagnosed with cancer 3 years ago October 2001. I did not have a period and was put into menopause because of chemotherapy and radiation. After 24 months my doctor switched me from Tamoxifen to Aromasin that was in July 2004. Today January 3, I started my period after 3 years and 3 months. I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem? My cancer was Her 2 positive also. Thanks for your input.

Anemarie
01-04-2005, 10:13 PM
When my period returned 10 months after chemo I made an appt. with my gyno and they vaginal utrasound? It is a test that takes about 15 minuets to check that nothing else is going on.

Patty H
01-05-2005, 10:54 AM
Diana,
Since they had you on Tamoxifrn and then Aromasine I would assume they didn't want you to have periods or hormones. I think you really need to tell your Dr. about this. I started having periods 4 months after I was out of chemo and I celebrated, but I wasn't hormone receptive. The way I understand it,is they put you on drugs like tamoxifen to shut down your hormones, since they feed your cancer. Patty H

*_Christine_*
01-05-2005, 12:49 PM
Diana

Changing hormne inhibitor can cause this to happen in some cases. You may want to ask the Onc if he would recommend a higher dosage to stop the menstral process and in effect decrease estrogen availability to the cancer cells. Depending on your age there are alternate drugs available. Changing again is not always recommended. Hormonal swings is not usually a secure outcome. Hope this makes sense to you.
Hugs and warm healthy wishes in the '05 yr. Christine

susand
01-05-2005, 01:45 PM
Hi--

I got my period after a year of chemo and another year of Arimidex. My markers rose steadily--until I was put on Lupron to shut down my ovary function. I got off Lupron last year and my markers rose again. Yesterday, I got another Lupron shot. It really does control your period and allow you to be on an aromatase inhibitor.

Best,
Susan

bethdaley
01-05-2005, 08:33 PM
I think I remember reading that Arimidex (which I'm on) takes a few months to kick in. Maybe that's what's happening in your case.

diana
01-05-2005, 10:23 PM
Thanks for all your input and support. I will go to the doctor tommorrow and I guess I'll know then whats happening. In the meantime, please pray for me thanks.