PDA

View Full Version : Survival

Mickey
01-03-2005, 01:38 PM
I am new to stage IV and it is a club for which I would prefer not to be a member. One of the scariest statistics for me is the one that I have heard that only 10% of stage IV survive 5 years. Yet, I hear so many of you who seem to have gone much longer. Where does this statistic come from and where is my hope for longer that 5 years?
Mickey

Sheila
01-03-2005, 05:48 PM
Mickey
None of us want to be in this category, and we are all fighters on this board! You can get encouragement form many here....you are reading a statistic...and that is all it is...I will never give in...I'll go down fighting...I plan to go and beat the statistics...all of us do. If we all believed in statistics, we all might as well give up.....never quit fighting!
Hugs
Sheila

Jackie
01-03-2005, 06:25 PM
Mickey, I think it's a waste of time to worry about statistics like that! When was the last time the study was updated to include all of the new drugs available today? Over expression of the her2 gene was considered to be a life shortening condition, even within the breast cancer "family", but that has recently changed due to progress on the medical front, thankfully. There are many drugs available and many yet to come. I want a lot of information about my disease, but statistics are not included in that search!! I want explanations and hope for my future....and this is the place to get both!
Best of luck to you,
Jackie

Jackie
01-03-2005, 07:23 PM
Whoops! Forgot to add that I will PASS my 5 yr anniversary of original dx in 2005.....

imported_Joe
01-03-2005, 09:26 PM
5 Years is not a magic number, but is usually the number of years that investigators do follow up studies on patients who have completed clinical trials.

This website has many members who have passed the 5 year mark after being diagnosed as stage IV.

Regards
Joe

Lolly
01-04-2005, 10:17 AM
Mickey, I'm heading into my 4th year as Stage IV, after being dx in '99 and recurrence in January '01 giving me membership in the club. The statistics you read really do not apply to us Her 2'ers, as Herceptin has changed the course of Stage IV disease. Your belief in youself as a survivor is integral to the process. Visualization helps, also an affirmative statement that you can repeat to yourself when you feel down. The hope will build from your inner sense of strength in the face of adversity. I know this may sound simplistic, but it will help.

Love, Lolly

Mickey
01-04-2005, 01:35 PM
Your responses are encouraging. I am really not "down" over this. As long as I can be proactive about my treatment and no doctor says,"Nothing more we can do", I will be fine. My family and friends are amazed. I am currently being treated with carbo, taxotere and herceptin. I play tennis twice a week and speed walk 5 times a week for 45 minutes. I do not feel tired. The carbo is only once every three weeks and that makes me nausious for a few days. Tomorrow is chemo day and the ride picking me up from the doctors office doesn't know it yet, but I will have my suitcase with me and will have her take me to the train station for a trip to Seattle to spend with my daughter. Life certainly does go on. Thanks so much ladies and guys.
Mickey

Michele in MD
01-10-2005, 07:28 PM
Remember the stats include people who are OLDER and may have other ailments. I would think surviva;l is higher in younger people -- I am 52; 1-year out still fighting -- we';; beat the odds with the new drugs!!!

Good luck

Michele