PDA

View Full Version : Celebrex for Cox2 inhibition

*_StephN_*
12-30-2004, 01:13 PM
Hi all -
Sheila posted below about getting a warning on Bextra. A couple of days ago I got a letter from my local pharmacy where I refill my Celebrex.
I have been taking Celebrex for 2.5 years as a Cox2 inhibitor. (My med onc said that a study had shown that when the Cox2 was inhibited, the cancer was inhibited.)
So I have been taking it, but not at the 400mg per day as I could not tolerate that much without loose stool problems. I did not try to stick it out at the 400mg level to see if it would get better. So have been taking 200mg, which may not even be effective agtainst the cancer, but since I am sensitive to drugs thought that 200mg was better than nothing. The studies quoted in the letter only show an increase in heart problem risk at the 400mg level, but not below.
The pharmacy letter says that FDA now requires cardiovascular side effect warnings when given after bypass surgery be on the Bextra labeling. Also that neither Bextra or Celebrex have any other danger than that "the adverse effects found with Vioxx MAY apply to Celebrex and Bextra to some degree."
My next appt with my med onc on next Friday, so I will be asking his opinion on this whole subject.
I believe he wants me to somehow inhibit Cox2 so will ask his feeling on more natural ways to do that.
Will keep you all posted.

al from canada
12-30-2004, 02:50 PM
Hi Steph,
I have posted further down the page on Natural COX2 Inhibitors.
Regards,
Al

*_StephN_*
12-30-2004, 05:20 PM
Thanks for reminding me, AL.
With all the holiday hubub, I am not keeping as good track as normal.
But I did want to post about the warning letter.
BTW - Glad your wife is doing so well!