PDA

View Full Version : help, onc no longer stocking a drug

anonymous
12-30-2004, 04:07 AM
My onc's practice has decided that as of 1/1/05, they will no longer order aranesp ( for low red blood cell counts. ) I have been on chemo now for almost 2 1/2 years and of course my counts are low. I tried procrit for 8 months without any success and several times had to have blood transfusions. Aranesp worked very well for me. I don't know what I am going to do. Any ideas? I feel desparate. We fight so hard to hang on and brutalize ourselves with chemo for a few extra precious years and here I can't get the drug that helps me keep hanging on!!!

( It's not really the oncs fault. The drug company has raised the price so much while insurance hasn't raised reimbursements so the docs are losing money. ) What a mess!

Lolly
12-30-2004, 07:02 AM
Most drug companies have a Compassionate Use program which allows patients access to needed drugs; here's a quote from the web site linked below...

"...For cancer patients who lack health insurance or who are under-insured, drug companies offer patient assistance programs so cancer patients can access the medicine they need without financial barriers. Clinicians must submit the application on behalf of the patient..."

http://www.biologicstoday.com/patients.asp...stance_programs (http://www.biologicstoday.com/patients.asp?level1=insurance_info&level2=assistance_programs)

Ask your physician to contact the company that makes Aranesp, and see if they'll help, as it's the only drug that works for you.

Good Luck!
Love, Lolly

Kim in DC
12-30-2004, 10:07 AM
Another alternative is going to a local hospital infusion center. Your onc probably admits to a hospital that has an outpatient infusion center that is associated with the hospital when it comes to insurance reimbursement. This is still classified as out patient services. They probably order both drugs, aeronesp and procrit.
Your doc might not support you with this idea because that means less money for him. He still gets paid for refering you but giving chemo is where the money is. They get paid on giving it to you and they get paid a flat fee for the drug. This flat fee is usually in addition to the cost of the drug. I'm not saying your onc is not worth it, but when they say not getting reimbursed it sometimes means the profit margin is smaller.
I am a drug rep who, until recently, sold kytril which many of you are taking for nausea. I am good friends with the aeronesp rep in my area and I know they are giving hospitals some healthy rebates. Now ofcourse hospitals place bigger orders and they can get better discounts. Private Doc's have different buying priviledges.
If you have insurance, then I'm sure it is covered. Do you have a mail order program? I get my herceptin by mail. You might have to contact your insurance company directly and have it mailed or go to a pharmacy. Again, these avenues are not explored by your physician because they do not get paid.

anonymous
12-30-2004, 09:33 PM
Thanks Kim and Lolly for your responses. Unfortunately, the local hospital also does not stock aranesp. I have tried that route in the past when I was hospitalized. I did call AMGEN today out of desparation and they were closed. I left a voice mail and hopefully someone will get back to me on Monday.

What a drag to have to fight the disease and then have to fight to get the drugs you need....