PDA

View Full Version : MD Anderson -- Orlando, FL

Janet/FL
12-29-2004, 09:41 PM
Hi all
I made an appointment at MD Anderson, Houston, TX today, but MD Anderson, Orlando, Florida is much closer and they can get me in sooner. I had never heard of them until Houston told me of them.
Has anyone had any experience with them? Cleveland Clinic in Naples, FL is not the same as THE Cleveland Clinic in Cleveland, Ohio. I do not want to go to a second rate place for another opinion.
I would appreciate any input. I have to schedule the appointment tomorrow.
Thanks for any input,
Janet/FL

Lolly
12-29-2004, 11:14 PM
Janet, I found a web site that lists MD Anderson in Orlando Fl. as an affiliate of University of Texas MD Anderson...

http://www.mdandersonorlando.org/about/

Hope this helps, sounds like they're legit.

Love, Lolly

*_StephN_*
12-30-2004, 12:29 PM
Hello Janet -
Looks like you are really checking things out. Good for you.
I have a cousin who lives on the Atlantic beach near Orlando. Her husband was treated for esaphogeal cancer in Houston and the Orlando facility did the followup and later organized the hospice for them. I have heard no compalints. Seems worth the visitas they should follow the same protocols as Houston.
Another member of this board is treated by a clinic that is tied to Dana Farber in Boston, and there seems to be close contact when her case requires it.

Peggy
12-31-2004, 03:28 PM
Janet,

I have been treated at MD Anderson in Orlando since March of 2001 and I have no complaints at all. My onc. is Nikita Shah and I believe she is really on top of things. I have yet to find anything she has missed and if she was concerned that she did not have the answer she can bring things up for discussion at the weekly tele-conferences they have. It's like having the best oncology care from around the country right here in Orlando. The nurses in the chemo lab are certainly some of the most competent and genuinely nice people I have ever met.

This is a very convenient location for me since it is only 4 miles from my house but I could have gone just a little further up the road to Florida Hospital and their Disney Cancer Institute. I would never say never - but I can't imagine why I would feel the need to leave M.D. Anderson.

The only weak spot I have found is some of the support staff - billing, setting appointments, etc.

Let me know if you have any specific questions - I'll be glad to answer them.

Peggy in Orlando

Janet/FL
01-01-2005, 01:36 PM
Hello Peggy and thanks for your reply.
I will be scheduleing an appointment Monday with them. I think the doctor I will see will be Jose E. Sarriera, MD, as Dr. Shah does not have an opening until past the time that I should start radiation therapy if I don't do chemo.
Have you heard of this doctor?
You may contact me off list at
busybeaks@aol.com
if you would like.
Janet/FL

Jenny From Naples
01-02-2005, 10:37 AM
Hello
I am also very interested in a second opinion at MD Anderson in Orlando. I really appreciate all the info on this site. You ladies are wonderful.
Jen

Janet/FL
01-02-2005, 12:42 PM
Jenny, I am from Naples, also. I had lumpectomy on 12-07-05. I call them tomorrow for an appointment, my doctor has already faxed my info to them. I have appointments in Houston, but I will cancel them if I can get into Orlando sooner.
Janet/FL
busybeaks@aol.com