PDA

View Full Version : How do I show my appreciation to nurses/staff?

Kansasrose
12-14-2004, 11:41 PM
I am trying to find out the best way to thank the many people at the cancer center. my last treatment is on Thursday afternon, and I want to give something to each of them for all of their kindnedss they have extended to me the last two years. Any suggestions? Thaanks,

Rose

StephN
12-15-2004, 12:26 AM
As a "regular" at my cancer center for 4 years now, I have seen many gifts bestowed upon the staff. My husband took a good bottle of French champagne to my med onc. Personally, I have not given individual gifts. Many people bring in treats and cakes of all kinds. I have seen coupons for lattes, carvings from Africa to hang on the wall, embroiderings framed and presented.
My nurses say they are just happy to see the patient recovering and doing well. This is their job - to help patients through some tough treatment. They seem often surprised that we want to thank them for a job well done.
I am sure that many ideas will be posted and I thank you for the good question.
It sure will feel good to get off treatment and do other things with your life.
Best wishes.

Cindi
12-15-2004, 08:09 AM
One year I took 3 containers of African Violets. The chemo area had good sunlight. When I went back the next Christmas for a visit, they were still alive and doing well!

This year I am giving each of the Radiation Tech's and my Doctor a mug with Ladybugs painted on it (my Mother is a China painter) and will personalize it. Also have a "I wish you enough" story that I am going to roll up and insert in the coffee/tea mug with a cookie.

I know that they certainly appreciate all sorts of yummy treats. One time someone brought in some braclava (spelling??) and wow was that tasty!

I am sure whatever you think of, it will be from your heart and the nurses/staff will realize that.

Merry Christmas to you and God Bless.

Cindi

Here is a copy of the "I wish you enough" story. If you have not seen it on the internet.

I wish you Enough

Recently a mother and daughter were overheard in their last moments together at the airport. They had announced the departure.

Standing near the security gate, they hugged and the mother said "I love you. I wish you enough". The daughter replied, "Mom, our life together has been more than enough. Your love is all I ever needed. I wish you enough, too, Mom". They kissed and the daughter left.

The mother walked over to the window where I was seated. Standing there I could see she wanted and needed to cry. I tried not to intrude on her privacy but she welcomed me in by asking "Did you ever say goodbye to someone knowing it would be forever?". "Yes, I have," I replied. "Forgive me for asking but why is this a forever goodbye?" "I am old ( or sick) and she lives so far away. I have challenges ahead and the reality is - her next trip back will be for my funeral" she said.

So I asked "When you were saying goodbye, I heard you say I wish you enough'. May I ask what that means?".

She began to smile. "That's a wish that has been handed down from other generations. My parents used to say it to everyone". She paused a moment and looked up as if trying to remember it in detail and she smiled even more. "When we said 'I wish you enough' we were wanting the other person to have a life filled with just enough good things to sustain them". Then turning toward me she shared the following as if she were reciting it from memory ---

I wish you enough sun to keep your attitude bright.
I wish you enough rain to appreciate the sun more.
I wish you enough happiness to keep your spirit alive.
I wish you enough pain so that the smallest joys in life appear much bigger.
I wish you enough gain to satisfy your wanting.
I wish you enough loss to appreciate all that you possess.
I wish you enough hellos to get you through the final goodbye.

She then began to sob and walked away.
They say it takes a minute to find a special person, an hour to appreciate them, a day to love them, but then an entire life to forget them.

TAKE TIME TO LIVE..... My loved ones and friends, I WISH YOU ENOUGH!!!

Janelle
12-15-2004, 09:14 AM
Hi Kansas Rose...

I like to do the homemade goodies, coffee cake, brownines or homemade candy if I find the time... but find that they nurses and techs are so appreciative of any small guesture.. even Twizzlers make their day. I like to do a homemade gift basket and usually incude granola bars, chocolate, a stuffed bear, teas, fruit.. etc. That way there's something for everyone. One day I did a huge jar of M & M's .. you would have thought I gave them the world.

This year I am in a dipping chocolate mood.. making candy boxes filled w/ dipped pretzels, Oreos, candy canes and molded candy... the grandkids are going to help and that makes it special for me too.

I'm sure whatever you do will be appreciated.. it's from the heart.

Good to see you again..
Hugs,
janelle

Cyndy
12-16-2004, 11:01 AM
I know my oncology nurses share many of the food goodies they get with those of us getting treatment at the time. So I wanted to do something for just them when I finished chemo the last time so I gave them a gift certificate to a local pizza delivery place and told them to use it for lunch one day. I know they appreciated it.

Kansasrose
12-16-2004, 08:58 PM
Thanks for the ideas. I settled on chocolate and roses. I think that worked out well. It was a bittersweet day; I had my kids with me, as I wanted them there. That was sure nice. I sure wished my husband had been there; I can't believe in the span of 1 year and 9 mos. I lost both my husband and sister. Who knew that would happen. I took the kids out for a steak dinner (a rarity with us) and we all ended up talking a lot about their dad/my husband. We all seem pretty down tonight; I think it is one of those moments in our family history that we needed him there. Now I meet with my surgeon to schedule removal of my port. And, then I wait.... is this normal to feel some sense of 'now what?' I know I will be glad to have my Fridays back and regain some strength. Treatments always left me very tired and feeling a bit lke I had the flu. That is over with. My muga scan showed a reading of 47 and hope that that returns. It started at 68.

So, here I am in the world, without herceptin, my sis and husband. But, I am here, right? And, I have two kids who I love.

--Rose

Sheila
12-17-2004, 06:14 AM
Rose
I chose to make something for my nurses...there are 7 at the center where I go...I am making them gifts that light up out of glass window blocks....I spent 3 hours last night cleaning off the white coating on the sides, then drill a small hole in them to push a strand of white Christmas lights, then add a ribbon tied with a big bow on top, plug it in and you have a different gift that can last through the year...looks so cute on an end table plugged in. I am doing them all in Christmas colored ribbon, but did a great one in pink ribbon for a friend with breast cancer.These were very inexpensive to make, and I feel as though I am giving them a gift back after all they have done for me.
So sorry about your losses this year, but you have gained so much in your fight against this disease. Holidays are hard times after aloss...lean on your children, and let them lean on you!
Hugs
Sheila