PDA

View Full Version : Adjuvant herceptin trial

michele u
12-12-2004, 06:50 PM
Joe,
I'm a little discouraged about the stats not coming out til next year! I thought surly they would give something to you at the symposium. The reason I'm waiting(unpatiently), is my herceptin in trial is going to stop in March. I thought if good things were coming out about this trial, they might change the protocol. Did they give you any stats or anything?

imported_Joe
12-12-2004, 08:30 PM
Michele,

Only one trial has completed enrollment. Two of them are still open. The criteria for clinical trials are very strict and one of the criteria would be to follow the candidate for a length of time after treatment.

Preliminary data can be published after a statisticaly significant of participants have completed their treatment and are followed up.

Final data cannot be published until everyone has completed treatments and their follow up period is complete.

Sometimes these trials seem to proceed at an agonizingly slow pace, but
they have to have these safeguards in place in order to maintain their validity.

We are all patiently waiting for the outcome.

Warmest Regards
Joe

Kristen
12-18-2004, 08:42 PM
Joe and Michelle,

Which trial are we talking about? Genentech's? The vaccine trials? What?

I DO NOT believe that these companies cannot give us something to go on. We are just suppose to go on blind faith that what they are doing is really helping someone? I think not. They have ph I/ phII/ phIII trials.

Now maybe I am wrong and it wouldn't be the first time, but, how can anyone get approval to move there trial along and be safe to "US" if they can't show some sort of progress to whoever is sponsering the trial? That doesn't make sense to me.

Yes, they are long and tideous, but there has to be some kind of info available. Now I know for sure that they can make it almost impossible for us to find that info. Genentech's sponsor is NCI and I wrote to Gen. and I got some lame form letter about the phII study and was told to contact the NCI, the lady there couldn't even find it. The next step would be to contact the Library of Congress and try and find it through them. Genentech's site, even states that the phI/II/III studies are closed. I am in the phIII study, I would like to know what they know about phII. If there is nothing to hide why not post it on the trials.gov site?

I feel that we go on these trials and hopefully help make a difference, that is the one thing I can do for women down the road who will eventually get this disease. I want them to have a fighting chance. We aren't asking for any compensation. Gen. will become rich if the drug does what they hope it will do and for the research and money spent they deserve it. For the pateint with the ID# 2903 or whatever is it to much to ask for a little infor here? Is it a little to much to ask for?