PDA

View Full Version : Use of Clodronate to Prevent Bone Mets

Guest-Barbara_*
12-11-2004, 07:53 PM
Clodronate (a non nitrogen-containing bisphosphonate) has been used in Stage IV BC for for some time but recently a study was completed using it in primary breast cancer and it was shown to reduce the incidence of bone metastases and improve survival rates. The study concluded that further trials are needed to confirm the results to date and to determine the optimal duration of treatment.

I was wondering if any of you Stage II and III gals have asked your oncologist for Chodronate off label. It is speculated that bone mets often lead to other mets as blood cells from the bone marrow carry the cancer to the liver and lung, etc. thus the prevention of bone mets could signifcantly reduce re-occurences.

I want to broach the topic with my oncologist and was wondering if any of you may have already done so.

Guest_Barbara_*
12-12-2004, 11:11 AM
I should add that an earlier study did not show a lot of promise in preventing bone mets in Stage II pages with positive nodes. I believe that was a 2001 study but the newest study shows different results. I have no idea if the drug was administered in different doses or durations in the two studies.

StephN
12-13-2004, 08:27 PM
This drug was addressed in one of out Patient Advocate Mentor sessions. The oncologist speaking said that Clodronate has been used in Europe for some time now and is being fast-tracked by the FDA for approval here sometime early in 2005. She said that it would come out under the tradename "Bonefos."
This med onc was high on this especially for ER - patients who tend to get mets in liver and bone - hey! - sounds just like me!!
I took down this info as I am maintained on Zometa and was looking for an alternate drug to have in my hip pocket "just in case."
So, it is definitely something worth mentioning to your med oncs - but I am not sure what stages this will be approved for.