PDA

View Full Version : Herceptin+Xeloda: does it work?

beatrice
12-11-2004, 10:36 AM
Hi,
I am a IV stage BC. After taking Herc+Cisplatin for 3 moths with practically no success for my liver mets, I have now been put on Hercpetin+ Xeloda. What is your experience? Please let me know. Thank you so much. Beatrice

Sheila
12-11-2004, 01:50 PM
Beatrice
I will let you know how I do on it as the Dr. will start me on this combo next week for mets to the nodes in my neck and possible bone mets to the ribs.
Hugs
Sheila

wlward
12-11-2004, 03:16 PM
Dear Beatrice
I had xeloda and herceptin recently for 6 rounds for skin mets and small local recurrence. After 2 weeks the skin mets were gone and the small lump gradually disappeared. Hand and foot syndrome was a bit dodgy and at times thought I would need to drastically reduce or stop.
Have just had a weekend of freaking out as after 2 weeks off the drug I had a small rash near my port. After a worrying time it has disappeared and i now know it was from the tape on my port from chemo - i always react badly to it and the nurse put more than usual but we were having a good old chat and I didn't notice.
All the best with this treatment - it seems quite effective.
love
lindaw

Lyn
12-12-2004, 04:46 AM
Hi, I had Xeloda for skin mets and it worked the first time, but I also had Herceptin/Carboplatin and it just kept my condition stalled until we added Taxol to it, it seems the the platinums only work with another drug but it seems they need to be included with our Herceptin combos, I found after the first dose the node in my neck started to get smaller, it has been a slow process and I have had 26 doses of the combo but results are NED. Hope this helps.

Hugs Lyn

kathleen fagnani
12-12-2004, 09:42 AM
I was on herceptin/xeloda for about three months. It partially worked as my lymph glands in my chest were reduced but not the lymph glands in my abdomen. I had constant diarhea on it, matter of fact, I lost about 30 pounds on it. That wasn't a negative, I needed to loose that ever since I was on chemo. Later, I read that Xeloda was antagonistic with herceptin.
Hopefully it works with you.

Kathie

Esther
12-12-2004, 04:41 PM
Beatrice, I have been on Herceptin, navelbine and xeloda since early feb. and have had great results for liver mets. My liver tumors are 95% gone. Initially, my liver was almost completely covered with tumors, and I had 3 lesions on my vertebrae.

In aug, the bone mets went NED, and I am down to 2 small 1/2 inch lesions on my liver.

Maybe this combination might be worth discussing with your onc. the side effects have been quite tolerable for me, and I have a great quality of life.