PDA

View Full Version : Need help! Bone mets dx and treatment

PattyD
12-06-2004, 09:54 AM
My onc just called with results of a PET scan and brain MRI i had last week. The PEt scan showed multiple diffused spots on my spine, ribs and one on my right pelvic area. The brain MRI showed a very slight increase in size of one existing tumor but no new growths.
mY question to you ladies is this: He wants me to have hormonal treatment rather than chemo at this time for the bone mets. It is an injection once a month for 4 months called Fasotec or something like that.
Does anyone know about that? He said that this is the best way to go for now and there are usually good results..
Any input would be helpful. God Bless.

Patty H
12-06-2004, 03:45 PM
Are you hormone receptive? With my bone mets in my back, once it started hurting they did radiation on my back. it took care of all the pain. I take zometa every 4 weeks to help stop the bone mets and to build bone and then I'm usually on some kind of chemo for the lung mets so I don't know if that helps the bone mets or not. My last bone scan showed no new growth in the last year. Patty H

Jackie
12-07-2004, 02:20 PM
Hi Patty,

I was first put on different hormonal therapies (beginning with Faslodex) following my initial mets to spine and rib area. I believe that beginning treatment after developing metastatic disease with hormonal drugs makes sense because if you respond to them, it is very easy therapy to tolerate. I also began receiving zometa at the same time to strengthen the bones, but not herceptin. Unfortunately, I did not respond to any of the 3 hormonal drugs that I tried and was put on chemo + herceptin 6 mos later with good results.
Best of luck to you!

Guest-Patty D_*
12-07-2004, 04:16 PM
Hi Patty- thanks for the info- yes i amHer2 positive and have been on Herceptinwhich.I will continue. What kind of radiation did you have to the spine for pain- did it do anything in helping shrink the tumors<The plan is to take the faslodex once a month for 4 mo (injection) then have another PET scan. Patty D

Guest-Patty D_*
12-07-2004, 04:21 PM
Jackie - how long ago did you go through all this and how long were you on each one. How long did they wait between each drug to see if it worked . And what followup tests did they use. I know that is alot of questions but this type of treatment is new to me and I am really scared.
Did you have no reaction with the hormones at all???? And finally what chemo did they finally put you on. Ive already been on taxotere successfully for the lung mets back in Jan 2003. Thanks for your help. PattyD