PDA

View Full Version : Survival

tennischik
12-05-2004, 08:29 PM
What is the longest anyone has heard of someone being on herceptin and living to tell about it?

imported_Joe
12-05-2004, 09:02 PM
The longest known survivor who still takes Herceptin is Ginger Empey, who is a member of our group (Check Members). She will celebrate 10 years of survival in August 2005.

Ginger was the first person admitted to the Phase III clinical trials for Herceptin in 1995, under the supervision of Dr. Dennis Slamon.

You can read her story by going to the "Community" section of the website and then to the stories page.

Although Ginger is still NED, she continues to be an activist. She speaks frequently on behalf of the Jonnson Breast Cancer Clinic addressing the need to participate in clinical trials. She will also answer your emails.

Ginger's Story (http://her2support.org/story3.htm)

Warmest Regards
Joe

Kathie
12-09-2004, 08:52 PM
Hi Everyone, I have been on just herceptin (after 5mos. fo taxol and herceptin) for 18 months. My onc. said I have the record in his office. Kathie

StephN
12-18-2004, 04:10 PM
Hi Kathie -
I have been on Herceptin/Zometa for 2 and a half years. That is not a record at our cancer center - not sure what it is, but I know of one patient with over 3 years and no relapse.
I think Christine, whose brainchild this site is, has over 4 years now.

sally
12-30-2004, 09:46 AM
My onc told me that he knows of 2 people that have been on Herceptin for 20 years. I didn't think the drug was that old. The longest I have read on the internet is 7 years. I had 6 cycles with taxotere and carboplatin. I just started my long term herceptin on Dec 3, 2004. I will get it every three weeks. Good luck everyone and have a Happy Healthy New Year and many more!! Sally