PDA

View Full Version : port scar tissue

Patty H
12-03-2004, 06:24 PM
When I went in for treatment today, the nurse commented on the scar tissue on my port, as she was trying to poke through it. I know a lot of women keep their ports for years but how many of you use your port weekly for years? Will the scar tissue build up so much I have to have it put some place else? Patty H

Lolly
12-03-2004, 10:05 PM
Good question; I'm on my third port, going on 4 years this spring, and they've all been in the same place, so the access has always been the same inch or so of skin. So far no problem with scar tissue creating problems accessing, but I'll ask next Tuesday when I go in if that's ever been a problem.

Lolly

StephN
12-04-2004, 02:08 AM
Hi -
I know several women who have had their ports trouble free for a number of years - the SAME one, just like me (4 years now). I have had it accessed on a weekly basis for months on end a couple of time and still go every 3 weeks for my Herceptin and Zometa.
I have a permanent tiny bruise where the opening is that is the place they poke, but don't seem to have trouble with scar tissue. I also rub some massage oil on it before bed after a treatment. The best one has Arnica which heals bruises and scars.
Best of luck - I also had them use a smaller gauge needle when they are available - some clinics have only the fatter ones.